Ciriello, Antonia Death

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
User avatar
dmurphy1940
Master
Master
Posts: 2411
Joined: 05 Jan 2011, 15:55
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

Ciriello, Antonia Death

Postby dmurphy1940 » 22 Sep 2014, 15:23

Numero 64 for a translation please.
Attachments
CirielloAntoniaNumero64image1201.jpg
Grazie,

Dolores

User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 11580
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Ciriello, Antonia Death

Postby Tessa78 » 22 Sep 2014, 15:54

#64
Dated 31 July 1885 at 8:30 AM at the town office in Frigento
Appearing was Filippo Famigliletti, 37, sawyer residing in Frigento; and Luigi Ceriello, 43, peasant farmer residing in Frigento; to declare that at 7:25 PM yesterday, at the place at Contrada Loppierti(?) #1, died Antonia Ciriello, age 7 months, born to Mattia, peasant farmer and to Teresa Calò

T.

User avatar
dmurphy1940
Master
Master
Posts: 2411
Joined: 05 Jan 2011, 15:55
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

Re: Ciriello, Antonia Death

Postby dmurphy1940 » 22 Sep 2014, 15:59

Thank you very much, Tessa!
Grazie,

Dolores

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 2560
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Ciriello, Antonia Death

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 22 Sep 2014, 20:39

Tessa78 wrote:#64
Dated 31 July 1885 at 8:30 AM at the town office in Frigento
Appearing was Filippo Famigliletti, 37, sawyer residing in Frigento; and Luigi Ceriello, 43, peasant farmer residing in Frigento; to declare that at 7:25 PM yesterday, at the place at Contrada Lappierti(?) #1, died Antonia Ciriello, age 7 months, born to Mattia, peasant farmer and to Teresa Calò

T.


Just a little tweak :)

Angela

User avatar
dmurphy1940
Master
Master
Posts: 2411
Joined: 05 Jan 2011, 15:55
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

Re: Ciriello, Antonia Death

Postby dmurphy1940 » 22 Sep 2014, 21:15

Thank you!
Grazie,

Dolores

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 2560
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Ciriello, Antonia Death

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 22 Sep 2014, 21:52

Your welcome. I also noticed that they MAY have miss-spelt Luigi's surname - or not, it's also a name in the town - in the actual record and of course you know the correct spelling of Famiglietti - a little typo. I figured you'd picked up on these :)

Angela

User avatar
dmurphy1940
Master
Master
Posts: 2411
Joined: 05 Jan 2011, 15:55
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

Re: Ciriello, Antonia Death

Postby dmurphy1940 » 22 Sep 2014, 22:59

Yes, I wondering about Luigi, so I checked the actual record to make sure that it IS Ciriello, and I assume Ceriello is a mistake? Also, what is a sawyer?
Grazie,

Dolores

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 2560
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Ciriello, Antonia Death

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 22 Sep 2014, 23:42

dmurphy1940 wrote:Yes, I wondering about Luigi, so I checked the actual record to make sure that it IS Ciriello, and I assume Ceriello is a mistake? Also, what is a sawyer?


It might not be an error. I checked the Italian white pages and the name/spelling Ceriello does appear there today. I don't recall this name being in any of your previous records for Frigento though. I have saved some indices/links for Frigento while looking for some records for you in the past so will consult these later and see if that name appeared back then.

Re the occupation "sawyer". It is someone who saws wood. The Italian word appearing in the record was "suatore". I have come across "suatore" before but didn't exactly know what it was and now thanks to Tessa's translation I understand this.

After thought: Do you remember this topic: http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/language/30138
The word "suatore" came up in this thread except we ended up coming to the conclusion at the time that it was probably meant to be "secatore", possibly because we weren't sure what a "suatore" was. I still see "suatore" in this record and would be interested to know the source for the translation.


Angela

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 2560
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Ciriello, Antonia Death

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 23 Sep 2014, 00:24

AngelaGrace56 wrote:
dmurphy1940 wrote:Yes, I wondering about Luigi, so I checked the actual record to make sure that it IS Ciriello, and I assume Ceriello is a mistake? Also, what is a sawyer?


It might not be an error. I checked the Italian white pages and the name/spelling Ceriello does appear there today. I don't recall this name being in any of your previous records for Frigento though. I have saved some indices/links for Frigento while looking for some records for you in the past so will consult these later and see if that name appeared back then.

Re the occupation "sawyer". It is someone who saws wood. The Italian word appearing in the record was "suatore". I have come across "suatore" before but didn't exactly know what it was and now thanks to Tessa's translation I understand this.

After thought: Do you remember this topic: http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/language/30138
The word "suatore" came up in this thread except we ended up coming to the conclusion at the time that it was probably meant to be "secatore", possibly because we weren't sure what a "suatore" was. I still see "suatore" in this record and would be interested to know the source for the translation.


Angela


Dolores, I've come to the conclusion that the Italian word in this record is also "secatore" not "suatore". Suatore might not even exist?

Angela :)

erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 4843
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Ciriello, Antonia Death

Postby erudita74 » 23 Sep 2014, 00:36

Angela

secatore/segatore

If you do a good search of the word secatore, the following comes up
Italian Occupations A-Z and the English Equivalents
freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mmange/itengocc.html
**Italian Occupations A and the English Equivalents Italian English Abbracciatutto Jack of all trades ..... Secatore Sawyer Scalpellino Stonemason Scamatino ...


then if you go to the actual website, it shows segatore and not secatore
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... ngocc.html

here's a pdf file with a dictionary from the Naples area-

p.94 of this pdf-segatore shows secatore; then if you look up secatore, they spell it with a double c

By the way, did you ever see what I found about ore italiane under Donna's post?

Erudita

User avatar
dmurphy1940
Master
Master
Posts: 2411
Joined: 05 Jan 2011, 15:55
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

Re: Ciriello, Antonia Death

Postby dmurphy1940 » 23 Sep 2014, 00:55

Thanks Angela and Erudita. I love when I learn something new on here! :D
Grazie,

Dolores

erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 4843
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Ciriello, Antonia Death

Postby erudita74 » 23 Sep 2014, 11:58

I meant to type "google" search, not "good" search, in my reply above. You are both very welcome.
Erudita

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 2560
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Ciriello, Antonia Death

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 23 Sep 2014, 21:29

Erudita, I must admit I did wonder what you meant by “good” search and debated whether I should ask you to define this for me :lol:

I already go through the process you have outlined here and I also have this list downloaded on my computer and refer to it constantly and add to it when I notice occupations not mentioned there. Thank you for going to the trouble to type this up. (I was hoping that you may have mentioned something in the process that I don't do because you always seem to find things that I don't.)

If I am understanding correctly you were going to provide a pdf file with a dictionary from Naples area. I would be interested to look at this if you still have it here.

Re the info you provided on Donna's post about early Italian “time measurement”, yes I did see this but because I've been working extra shifts I haven't had time to look at it closely. Of course it is all in Italian and possibly academic as well so will take time for me to understand what it says. I can't actually download it without registering my email address with them and I don't want to do this. I raised what you had written down with my family and their friends over lunch on Sunday which snowballed and provided interesting and diverse discussion. Thank you again Erudita.

Angela

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 2560
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Ciriello, Antonia Death

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 23 Sep 2014, 21:33

dmurphy1940 wrote:Thanks Angela and Erudita. I love when I learn something new on here! :D


You are welcome Dolores and ditto to your second statement.

Angela

erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 4843
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Ciriello, Antonia Death

Postby erudita74 » 24 Sep 2014, 14:29

Angela and Dolores

segatore/secatore-a person who saws wood or timber

http://books.google.com/books?id=aH5JAA ... re&f=false

p.684
http://books.google.com/books?id=2zUTAA ... io&f=false

Here's a link to the pdf file, but it's in Italian. p. 94 upper right column

http://www.altrestorie.org/napoli/Giuse ... letano.pdf

Erudita


Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 4 guests