Scatolaro

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Scatolaro

Postby Anizio » 19 Nov 2014, 22:19

My ancestor's profession at his marriage is listed as Scatolaro.

At first I thought it was Scatolaio, but after seeing very high quality scans of the allegati to the marriage it is definitly Scatolaro.

But what does Scatolaro mean?

I know later is his life he was a cage maker, and I know his mothers family were known for cage making. His town was also known for it. Is it related?
Attachments
Scatolaro.jpg
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information

erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Scatolaro

Postby erudita74 » 19 Nov 2014, 22:34

I see the surname as Scatolari in a book called Our Italian Surnames by Prof Joseph G Fucilla. He says the surname derives from carpentry and translates it as "box maker."

Also found this -
http://books.google.com/books?id=EUFYzH ... er&f=false

Erudita

Anizio
Elite
Elite

Postby Anizio » 19 Nov 2014, 22:43

Its not a name, its his profession. His name was Malacrida.

box-maker, interesting. Thanks.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 19 Nov 2014, 23:02

Some occupations are also surnames, as some surnames were derived from occupations, which was the reason I checked the book I had first. Anyway, the second link confirms that the occupation was a box maker.

Erudita

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”