Help with Translating Baptism Records (Gnecco in Cicagna)

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
kcasazza

Help with Translating Baptism Records (Gnecco in Cicagna)

Postby kcasazza » 12 Jan 2015, 03:48

I think I've finally traced a line back to Italy but I'm struggling a little with the script and language. If anyone could help with the vital details from this record that would be awesome!

Thanks.

Note: I'm uploading this from my phone so if the resolution is too low I'll get a bigger image tonight!
Attachments
005394564_00122.jpg

maxborzani

Re: Help with Translating Baptism Records (Gnecco in Cicagna

Postby maxborzani » 12 Jan 2015, 06:42

Hi kcasazza, here is a basic translation.
The document is the registry of baptism with the following info;

Date: December 4, 1843
Name: Giovanni Gnecco
He was presented at the S. Gio. Battista church in the municipality of Cicagna.
Born: December 23, the son of Giovanni and Teresa Gnecco (daughter of Stefano),farm workers.

Hope it helps

PS It is interesting that the date of the registry of baptism is earlier than the date of birth. He could have been a year old or there is a mistake with dates.

kcasazza

Re: Help with Translating Baptism Records (Gnecco in Cicagna

Postby kcasazza » 14 Jan 2015, 01:39

Thank you so much!

If it's not too much did you have any luck with the father's father's name? It's pretty messy in that scrawl so I'm not sure exactly what it's saying - it looks like two words - "Casa Grandt" but I'm sure that's way off...

Also does it give any indication as to whether either of their parents are still living?

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”