Help deciphering the name my Italian ancestor was born in?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jerseygirlar

Help deciphering the name my Italian ancestor was born in?

Post by jerseygirlar »

So I've recently found the passenger list that my great great grandfather is listed on. His last known residence is listed but the words are hard to make out. I've been told via my grandmother that he was from Teremo, Abruzzo, Italy. However, I need a to get a copy of his birth certificate, his wife's, and their marriage certificate to prove my Italian citizenship. Can anyone give some advice on how I can track down the town because I cannot request the documents until I know their exact location?
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Help deciphering the name my Italian ancestor was born i

Post by adelfio »

Can you post a link to the shipmanifest with the name

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

jerseygirlar wrote:So I've recently found the passenger list that my great great grandfather is listed on. His last known residence is listed but the words are hard to make out. I've been told via my grandmother that he was from Teremo, Abruzzo, Italy. However, I need a to get a copy of his birth certificate, his wife's, and their marriage certificate to prove my Italian citizenship. Can anyone give some advice on how I can track down the town because I cannot request the documents until I know their exact location?
As Marty said, can you post the manifest? OR... post a link to it?

We have some very talented people on this forum who just may be able to read the town on the manifest for you. :D

T.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Together with the manifest you should also tell us the name of your ancestor :wink:
jerseygirlar

Post by jerseygirlar »

Okay my ancestor's name is Guiseppe Amari born in 1883. I found the ship log on ancestry.com, but haven't found it anywhere else.
The link is here: http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse. ... plz0q3dpid

In case that doesn't return the document here is information about it. Giuseppe Amari is number 7 on the list.

Here's the info about him from Ancestry:
Name: Giuseppe Amari
Arrival Date: 30 Sep 1905
Birth Date: abt 1883
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Madonna
Search Ship Database: Search for the Madonna in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database

And here is the source information for the document:

Source Citation
Year: 1905; Arrival: New York, New York; Microfilm Serial: T715, 1897-1957; Microfilm Roll: Roll 0625; Line: 7; Page Number: 80
Source Information
Ancestry.com. New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010.
Original data:
Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, New York, 1820-1897. Microfilm Publication M237, 675 rolls. Records of the U.S. Customs Service, Record Group 36. National Archives at Washington, D.C.
Passenger and Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, New York, 1897-1957. Microfilm Publication T715, 8892 rolls. Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service; National Archives at Washington, D.C.
Supplemental Manifests of Alien Passengers and Crew Members Who Arrived on Vessels at New York, New York, Who Were Inspected for Admission, and Related Index, compiled 1887-1952. Microfilm Publication A3461, 21 rolls. ARC ID: 3887372. RG 85, Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service, 1787-2004; Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service; National Archives, Washington, D.C.
Index to Alien Crewmen Who Were Discharged or Who Deserted at New York, New York, May 1917-Nov. 1957. Microfilm Publication A3417. ARC ID: 4497925. National Archives at Washington, D.C.
Passenger Lists, 1962-1972, and Crew Lists, 1943-1972, of Vessels Arriving at Oswego, New York. Microfilm Publication A3426. ARC ID: 4441521. National Archives at Washington, D.C.

Thank you all for your help.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

If that's the correct manifest I would say Santa Ninfa is a town in the province of Trapani
Where did Giuseppe Amari settle in the USA?
What was his wifes name?
If his brother was Francesco Amari Santa Ninfa is the right birth town

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
jerseygirlar

Post by jerseygirlar »

Well I don't know if he had brothers but he did name his son Francesco (Frank), so he might have name him after his brother. His exact birthdate is the seventh of November 1883. His wife's maiden name is Anna Di Paolo. He went by Joseph when he settled in the US and he lived in Philadelphia the rest of his life and so did his children and grandchildren.
Here he is on the 1930 census:
http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse. ... plz0q3dpid
Here is his application for naturalization
http://interactive.ancestry.com/2717/31 ... turnRecord
Here's his World War II draft card:
http://interactive.ancestry.com/1002/PA ... turnRecord