Help reading/translating word found after name

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Robin B Mc
Veteran
Veteran

Help reading/translating word found after name

Postby Robin B Mc » 05 Mar 2015, 20:06

I'm having difficulty making out the word found after the name Giovanna Palladino (bride's mother's name) - could anyone help?
Attachments
Giovantomaso-Scioli-Lorenza-Palladino-Marriage-1879-Monteroduni.jpg

Anizio
Elite
Elite

Re: Help reading/translating word found after name

Postby Anizio » 05 Mar 2015, 21:05

I read "vivente." Meaning she was alive. Not sure why they would write that though so it could be wrong.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 05 Mar 2015, 21:30

Anizio wrote:I read "vivente." Meaning she was alive. Not sure why they would write that though so it could be wrong.

I agree. It looks like "vivente" - possibly because the bride was age 20, and since the father was unknown, it is noted at the bottom of the record that the mother of the bride gave her consent as indicated in the banns.

T.

Robin B Mc
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Robin B Mc » 05 Mar 2015, 21:36

Thanks, I agree it may have to do with the fact that the father is unknown. Giovanna had two other children whose father's names were also unknown. I suspect she was a prostitute or something. Maybe they wanted to make it clear that yes, the bride's mother is alive but even she doesn't know who the bride's father is.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 06 Mar 2015, 01:45

Giovanna had two other children whose father's names were also unknown. I suspect she was a prostitute or something.
Not really she could have conceived with someone with high ranking in the town like a priest or civil official or a property owner

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

Robin B Mc
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Robin B Mc » 06 Mar 2015, 03:08

Yeah, I'd considered something like that too (that was the "or something" lol), because I wasn't sure how common it would be for a common prostitute to keep and raise three children. A mistress of someone wealthy or important might be more likely. So frustrating knowing the paternal side here is a dead end but hoping to find out more about Giovanna's parents at least. Thanks again.

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”