Death Record: Ottavio Giuseppe Pivato

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
JOHN08
Elite
Elite

Death Record: Ottavio Giuseppe Pivato

Postby JOHN08 » 03 Apr 2015, 09:03

My translation of this death record:

On the 14th of January 1884, appeared Giovanni Pivato, age: 40, profession: ?, living: Cittadella and ? ? , age: 29, living: Cittadella. They declared the death of Ottavio Giuseppe Pivato, age: 11 days ?, lived Cittadella, son of Giovanni, profession: carpenter, living: Cittadella, son of Catterina Luisetto, living: Cittadella.

Thanks for any corrections or additions.

John

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... bsifmn.jpg

dmt1955
Master
Master

Re: Death Record: Ottavio Giuseppe Pivato

Postby dmt1955 » 03 Apr 2015, 14:33

i believe the deceased is noted as 'artigiano' - artisan. the other two i cannot determine.

donna
http://www.MyItalianFamilies.com
Researching: Purcaro, Raimo, Rizzo, Scaglione, Troisi, Masucci
Locations: Ariano (di Puglia) Irpino, Volturrara Irpina, Altavilla Irpina

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 03 Apr 2015, 21:15

JOHN08 wrote:My translation of this death record:

On the 15th of January 1884, appeared Giovanni Pivato, age: 40, living: Cittadella and Prosdocimo Cecchetto, occupation ? ? , age: 29, living: Cittadella. They declared the death of Ottavio Giuseppe Pivato, age: 11 days, artigiano ?, lived Cittadella, son of Giovanni, profession: carpenter, living: Cittadella, son of Catterina Luisetto, artigiano? living: Cittadella.

Thanks for any corrections or additions.

John

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... bsifmn.jpg

The surname Cecchetto appears in the town and the name Prosdocimo is much clearer in the signature. I agree with Donna that the occupation for both deceased and mother looks like artigiano. Child died ieri 14 January 1884.

Donna and John, I hope you both have a lovely Easter.

Prosdocimo Cecchetto was a villico - farmer?

Angela :D

JOHN08
Elite
Elite

Postby JOHN08 » 04 Apr 2015, 03:17

Angela, Donna,

Thanks for your help. However, why is an occupation listed for the death of an infant, 11 days old at death ? Am I missing something in this death record ?

Happy Easter to all.

John

TerraLavoro
Veteran
Veteran

Postby TerraLavoro » 04 Apr 2015, 19:25

The "profession" of a child, even an infant, is a reflection more of the social status of the father than anything else.

Many of the pre-printed forms for civil records have an asterisk next to the blank for "profession", which notes that the official should indicate the profession or the "condition" of the individual in question. For an 11 day old, what the official is noting clearly has much more to do with "condition", than "profession".
TerraLavoro

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”