Can anyone help read these mothers' surnames?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
carubia
Master
Master

Can anyone help read these mothers' surnames?

Postby carubia » 07 Apr 2015, 14:53

This is not a translation question. The problem is that these 2 death records from 1867 are so faint, and the handwriting is so bad, I'm having trouble making out all the names, and I don't know what the correct info is as a guide.

Here's the first:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349503801

Record #51 on the right-hand side, for Giovanna Farruggia. She was 70 years old, born in Ribera, and the widow of Epifanio Randisi. Her parents were the deceased Giuseppe and Caterina. What was her mother's surname? Any guesses? It looks like it starts with a C. Also, when did she die? 13 May (cf. the time of death on the previous line)?

Here's the 2nd:

Record #72 for Francesco Leotta, about the same place on the page as the previous one. He died on 21 Jun in Ribera, was married to Maria Amalia Campione, and was the son of the deceased Pasquale and Antonia. What was his mother's surname name? Originally Leotta was written, but then this was corrected with a note (1) at the bottom of the record. What is the correct name? Does it even say? Also, what was his age? 60-something. 67? 66?

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Can anyone help read these mothers' surnames?

Postby adelfio » 07 Apr 2015, 16:08

Possible Caterina Camastra??

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 07 Apr 2015, 16:08

Antonia Sclafani

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 07 Apr 2015, 16:11

carubia wrote:This is not a translation question. The problem is that these 2 death records from 1867 are so faint, and the handwriting is so bad, I'm having trouble making out all the names, and I don't know what the correct info is as a guide.

Here's the first:

Record #51 on the right-hand side, for Giovanna Farruggia. She was 70 years old, born in Ribera, and the widow of Epifanio Randisi. Her parents were the deceased Giuseppe and Caterina. What was her mother's surname? Any guesses? It looks like it starts with a C. It could be Ciaravella - a name found in Ribera Also, when did she die? 13 May (cf. the time of death on the previous line)? I would say YES

Here's the 2nd:

Record #72 for Francesco Leotta, about the same place on the page as the previous one. He died on 21 Jun in Ribera, was married to Maria Amalia Campione, and was the son of the deceased Pasquale and Antonia. What was his mother's surname name? Originally Leotta was written, but then this was corrected with a note (1) at the bottom of the record. What is the correct name? Does it even say? I think her surname right after the "blocked" Leotta... Also, what was his age? 60-something. 67?YES 66?

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 07 Apr 2015, 17:30

Thanks for your input. I hadn't thought of Ciaravello, which you're correct does occur in Ribera (with a final "o," not "a"). I was thinking more along the lines of Cammarata, Cannata, or Cannella. The end of the name looks like a "ta" to me - if it were an "la" I think I would favor Cannella.

As for Francesco Leotta's mother's name, I had wondered about whether the word after the box was her name, too. Now that I look at it again, it looks like Pasciuta. Funny how I considered that word was her name before, but never recognized that common name.

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”