Possible Death Certificate Transcription - Criscione

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
typeogirl
Rookie
Rookie

Possible Death Certificate Transcription - Criscione

Postby typeogirl » 15 Apr 2015, 14:12

Hi Everyone, in another post I stated I found all the papers for my great-grandparents marriage in Ragusa. These two pages seem to be an extract of a death certificate for the bride's father? Can anyone tell me what the document is about and help me pull out any important information - birthdate, date of death, parent's names, where he was born, anything genealogical?

And why would this death certificate be part of the marriage documentation - does the document describe why the bride had to provide this information to be married? Did she need to prove who her father was? Or that she was born in a legitimate marriage? What could the reason be?

Thank you everyone!!!!!
Attachments
augello_criscione_matrimony_allegati_7.jpg
augello_criscione_matrimony_allegati_6.jpg

carubia
Master
Master

Re: Possible Death Certificate Transcription - Criscione

Postby carubia » 15 Apr 2015, 15:59

If a person getting married was under a certain age (it varied with the time period and the gender of the person) the parents' permission would be needed to get married, unless of course they were dead. That's why death certs for parents sometimes show up in allegati.

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 15 Apr 2015, 16:27

Paolo Criscione aged 45, son of Carmelo, died 1899 Dec 26, was born and living in Ragusa

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 15 Apr 2015, 16:46

His occupation was carrettiere (=wagoner).

typeogirl
Rookie
Rookie

Postby typeogirl » 15 Apr 2015, 17:22

Is Paolo's mother listed in the death certificate? Is his birth date in the document? Does is say how he passed away? It seems like there is alot written in there but is it just all "legal-ese"?

Thank you for the explanation about why the death certificate was included. I guess maybe my great-grandmother was under a certain age.....

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 15 Apr 2015, 17:33

The other page you posted is the back of a different document. Do you have a link to the full set of the allegati?

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 15 Apr 2015, 19:40

A death record would not have the date of birth, nor generally the cause of death. His mother's name and spouse's name are missing, where generally you would see them (but not always - the person reporting the death may not have know this info). Moreover, it doesn't look like the other page you've included is the back side of the allegati that has his death record, so there may have been more info on the other side.

typeogirl
Rookie
Rookie

Postby typeogirl » 15 Apr 2015, 22:50

I do have the full set - i just didn't want to post all 11 pages. What is the best way to do that? Should I maybe load them all to the tree to ancestry and provide the link there? Thanks.

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 16 Apr 2015, 04:59

You have 2 images posted above of allegati pages. The one on the bottom (page 186) says MUNICIPIO DI RAGUSA in large type across the top. That's the one that has his death record. The details that we cited are all in the bottom 3 lines on the page. Do you have the other side of that page (which would be page 187)? That's probably the only other page that would have info on Paolo.

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”