surname and age on 1824 death recs

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
carubia
Master
Master

surname and age on 1824 death recs

Postby carubia » 06 May 2015, 15:55

Can anyone hazard a guess as to the surname and age of each of the deceased on these 2 death records from 1824? I've been able to make out the rest.

1. Antonia M., died 6 Jun 1824, born and residing in Ribera, parents Giuseppe & Leonarda, both deceased, wife of living Francesco Perrone. Her surname looks like "Marti" to me, but I'm sure that's not it, and her age appears to have an "e" as the 2nd letter (but doesn't otherwise look like "venti").
http://postimg.org/image/oge5ay7ct/

2. Giuseppe, died 12 Jul 1824 at parents' home, born and residing in Ribera, parents Giuseppe (farmer) & Vincenza Nocilla, both residing in Ribera. His surname might begin with an "S" or "L." His age might follow the name, as "di mesi...."
http://postimg.org/image/udn2ovut9/

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: surname and age on 1824 death recs

Postby Tessa78 » 06 May 2015, 18:40

Perhaps the names of the declarants provide a clue? :-)

Both are identified as "nipote della defunta" - which can translate to either grandson or nephew...
The first declarant has the surname Miceli - this may be a possibility for Antonia's surname? It is a common name in Ribera.
Another thought for her surname is Marfia, which is found in Sicily...

As to the age of the deceased... I am seeing what appears to be the beginning of settanta or sessanta? So possibly 70+ or 60+. And in the case of the nephews/grandsons whose ages appear to be 30 and 43... that would make sense.

I cannot read the surname in the second record at all. :-(
But if you believe it begins with "L" - you might consider Lauricella, a common name in Ribera.

T.

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 07 May 2015, 02:53

Thanks for your suggestions. Marfia doesn't appear in Ribera at all in the 19th-c., but Miceli is one of the most common names, so it could be that. The penultimate letter could be an "l" that has a stay mark on it making it look like a "t." Her husband Francesco Perrone was born around 1763 and so would've been about 61 at the time, so sessanta makes sense.

As for the 2nd one, it doesn't look like Lauricella at all to me (I don't see any l's after the 1st one), but I have found about 4 people with that surname in Ribera in the early 1800s, none named Giuseppe. I was thinking it could be Leotta or Lanza. The only married couple in Ribera at that time with even remotely similar names that I can find are Giuseppe Leo and Vincenza Nicolosi. I have found no records for a Vincenza Nocilla or Nucilla. The age might be 9 months ("di mesi novi"), but the 3rd letter looks at lot more like a "v" in the original image and even the copy I scanned than in the image uploaded here, where it looks more like an "o". There's also a horizontal bar above the 2nd letter, which doesn't really fit any letter and could be a stray mark. Finally, there's a circle on the next line that could be a continuation of the previous one (a final "o"), but there's definitely no "t" in that word so "otto" would be ruled out, and in any event putting only the final letter of a word on the next line would be weird. If he was 9 months old then he would've been born in late 1823 and his birth probably went unreported, mandatory reporting of births not starting in Ribera until 1824.

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 09 May 2015, 11:17

I found what is probably Vincenza Nocilla's death record from the following year. It says her husband was Giuseppe Rizzo. Looking at the record again, the first letter of the surname could be an "R" and I can see an "i", too, plus at least one "z", so it could be it, or maybe something similar such as Rizzuto.

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”