Translation Help - Italian Military records

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Ferkner

Translation Help - Italian Military records

Postby Ferkner » 17 Jun 2015, 15:04

Hi,

I'm new here; I was referred to this site by someone on ancestry.com because I need help figuring out the handwriting on my grandfather's Italian army enlistment and discharge papers.

I was recently given a pile of papers that belong to my grandparents. In them were a couple of military documents, which I have scanned and uploaded as one image. One is his enlistment into the Italian Army during World War II (number with a green 1), and the other is his discharge after the war (numbered with a green 2). With the online tools available, I can translate the parts of the form that are typed so that I understand what they are, but apart from some name of towns and provinces, I cannot make out what any of the handwriting says.

So if anyone can help out and can read the penmanship on these, it would be a great help. You don't need to translate it, I just need to know what it says in Italian. I'm not used to how Europeans wrote, making letters like lowercase g and p not go under the line it's written on.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can/is willing to help!
Attachments
Translate_-_Military.jpg

PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Translation Help - Italian Military records

Postby PippoM » 18 Jun 2015, 21:23

Soldato di leva classe 1920. Distretto di Caserta quale rivedibile della classe 1920-21, e lasciato in congedo illimitato
chiamato alle armi è giunto
Tale nel Dep. Lancieri Novara per il V
Trasferito al Rgt. (Reggimento) Cavalleggeri Alessandria
Destinato al Rgt. Cavalleggeri Imola (?) è giunto
Giunto in territorio dichiarato in stato di guerra
Partito per la Croazia via terra è giunto
Tale nel 14° Reg.to Cavalleg. Alessandria mobilitato (?)
Sbandato in seguito ai noti eventi, li
Cessa di essere mobilitato e di trovarsi in territorio dichiarato in istato di guerra li
Presentatosi al Distretto in ottemperanza al Bando (?) di presentazione alle armi e (can't read it) dopo la liberazione circ. min. 40002 in data 2-1-45
Avviato al campo affluenza di Afragola
Tale nella 9a Comp. del suddetto campo li
Inviato in licenza straordinaria di g. 30 li
Rientrato dalla suddetta licenza li
Inviato in licenza illimitata
Collocato in congedo illimitato circ. 2496 del novembre 1945

Ha partecipato dal 10/11/42 al 8/9/943 alle operazioni di guerra svoltesi in Balcania territorio ex jugoslavo col reggimento cavalleggeri Alessandria circ. 530
Campagna di guerra 1943

If you can't find it, "li" means "on the day".
I can't read some abbreviations.
If you need something else, just ask!
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

Ferkner

Postby Ferkner » 22 Jun 2015, 19:21

Thank you so much! I don't know how you are able to read that, but I am very, very appreciative of your help!

I may have a few more that I need help with, but they are not nearly as wordy as these were.

Ferkner

Postby Ferkner » 22 Jun 2015, 20:40

Sad to see there is no info on there about when he was captured by the Nazis multiple times, and how he walked back to Italy from Yugoslavia.

PippoM
Master
Master

Postby PippoM » 23 Jun 2015, 08:37

Oh, I'm Italian, and I often read old handwritten documents...
If he was captured by the Nazis several times and he managed to escape, that is not "official" news, so you won't probably find anything about that.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

Ferkner

Postby Ferkner » 27 Oct 2015, 17:07

I got the straight story from my father a few months ago. He was only captured once while in Yugoslavia, after the Armistice of Cassibile, and escaped because he figured they would kill him after he was done digging and mining. He said he had to go to the bathroom, and ran off. They shot at him but didn't chase him. He walked for a while, and somehow found some cheese. He traded the cheese for some civilian clothes so he would not be seen and recaptured. He then took a train from Yugoslavia back to Italy. As far as I know he didn't let the army know he was back.

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”