Translation of Marriage Record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Nina915

Translation of Marriage Record

Postby Nina915 » 04 Jul 2015, 21:06

My great-grandparents were married years after my grandfather and his older brother were born. I need help with translation of the bottom of their marriage record because it appears their names are included.

Thank you
Attachments
Francesco-Isabella Marriage.jpg
Marriage Record Francsco Amorosini & Elisabetta Greca

erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Translation of Marriage Record

Postby erudita74 » 05 Jul 2015, 11:07

The handwritten section at the bottom:

the documents presented-the first publication dated Aug 7th of the current year; the 2nd dated the 14th. Then it goes on to say that the spouses, in the presence of the same witnesses, exposed that from their natural union, two sons had been born who were stated to be of unknown parents. The first on Oct 1, 1879 (Carlo Gastaldi) and the second on the 24th of Feb 1885 (Vincenzo Amorosini). With the present act, these children were recognized as their own sons and legitimized. The present act was signed only the town official, as the other intervening parties were illiterate.

Here are the two birth records-

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 2.jpg.html

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Erudita

erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Translation of Marriage Record

Postby erudita74 » 05 Jul 2015, 13:42

As to the two birth records-both boys were abandoned at the wheel for foundlings in the town and were apparently one day old at the time of discovery without any external marks on their bodies. Both were given their first and last names by the town official and were immediately assigned a wetnurse (not named in the records) by him. Infants were normally breastfed in those days and hence the need for a wetnurse. Carlo appears to have been left with used white rags, a similar swaddling band, and a night shirt made of cotton cloth. Vincenzo was left with new white rags, a swaddling band in a cotton/wool blend, colored rags on his feet, a cotton night shirt, and a handkerchief on his head.

Erudita

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”