Need Help Translating Death Extract

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
amasi3

Need Help Translating Death Extract

Postby amasi3 » 05 Jul 2015, 15:05

Hello!

I am looking for some assistance translating a death extract for Andrea PARRELLA ILARIA.

I posted the file on Google for viewing:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1hRLI ... sp=sharing

This death extract is from a collection of documents relating to the marriage of Domenico Crescenzo Giosuè PARRELLA ILARIA (Andrea's grandson) and Maria Gabriella Filomena Marianna ILARIA. They were married 20 NOV 1858 in Salvia (now Savoia di Lucania), Potenza, Basilicata.

Arcangela LEMBO is Andrea's wife if that's of any help. My understanding of Italian is limited and the cursive writing does not help. Thank you to anyone that can help me!
Anthony M.
Research Interests in Campania and Basilicata

erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Need Help Translating Death Extract

Postby erudita74 » 06 Jul 2015, 14:28

The record is dated Aug 1800, it could be the 2nd, but I am not positive. The deceased's name in the body of the record is simply Andrea Parrella, husband of Arcangela Lembo. They both appear to have the title magistro and magistra (teachers?). There is an approximate age at death in the record. The last digit is definitely 0, but I'm not sure about what precedes that-a 4, a 7, or an 11. So either about age 40, about age 70, or about age 110 at death, but I'm inclined to think he was about 40 when he died. The record then states that he received all of the sacraments and that he was buried in San Nicola (which I believe is the Mother Church of this town). There are no parents' names for the deceased given in the record.

Erudita

amasi3

Postby amasi3 » 06 Jul 2015, 17:29

Hi Erudita,

Thank you for helping to translate this record! I also believe Andrea was 40 when he died in 1800 (he was having children in the 1790s so 110 would be too old).

I had someone translate the record and they think Andrea died August 20, 1800. Do you have an opinion as to whether the death occurred on the 2nd or the 20th?

Andrea's son Francesco was an landowner/undertaker/civil profession and Francesco's son Domenico was a pharmacist/secretary of Auletta (SA). If Andrea & Arcangela were teachers it wouldn't surprise me - this family was educated. Rumor has a relative attended the medical school in Salerno. Someone in the family was also allegedly a marchese. Most civil registration records pertaining the Parrella Ilarias and the families they married into use the titles Don and Donna.

Again, thank you for the help!
Anthony M.
Research Interests in Campania and Basilicata

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 06 Jul 2015, 21:14

I don't believe the character after the initial 2 for the day is a zero. I originally was thinking it was another 2 at an angle, but I really don't know. It looks like the letter a to me.
Erudita

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”