Estratto dei registri dei matrimoni

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Estratto dei registri dei matrimoni

Postby DonnaPellegrin » 24 Aug 2005, 07:45

I am going through the microfilm of a small town in Calabria called Caccuri and I am trying to better understand the exact details of the marriage procedures. I will use the marriage of Giuseppe Loria and Filomena Iaconis as an example.

For this couple, Giuseppe and Filomena, I have found the following documents:

1. I have found the solenne promessa di matrimonio. I understand that this is the first step in the process. This record is dated 23 March 1862. According to my Family Tree Maker software, this was a Sunday.

2. I have found a notificazione. I understand that this was the marriage bann. This record is dated 28 April 1862. This would be a Monday. I thought the notificazione were always on Sundays. This surprised me a little.

3. And I found a record called the Estratto dei registri dei matrimoni. I do not understand what it is. This record is dated 9 May 1862. Is that the date of the civil marriage? In the right margin is written the date 11 May 1862. Is that the date of the church marriage? This confuses me. I knew that after the unification of Italy in 1865 there were two marriages, one by the church and one by the government. I did not think that this was happening in 1862.

I have pasted the Estratto dei registri dei matrimoni below. Can anyone tell me exactly when Giuseppe and Filomena got married? And, while I have your attention, can anyone tell me what the handwriting says after it says that Costanza Manfreda was defunta?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Donna

http://www.lutheransonline.com/lo/411/F ... 478411.jpg
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Estratto dei registri dei matrimoni

Postby suanj » 24 Aug 2005, 11:14

Hi donna, the image is little and I cannot read well, but about Estratto i can say you that is "Solenne promessa di matrimonio"( this Solenne promessa di Matrimonio, is as civil marriage, but partial marriage, why no effective, why must complete in church marriage, and this solenne promessa di matrimonio, mean that the future spouse, in presence of Major-so was "solenne"=important-, of relatives, of withnesses, well the future spouse they gave "promessa"= honor word, of to marrie- marriage in the church-; if after this promising, someone of spouse no want more the wedding, this was still possible, why this promising was an promising, an first step for just wedding in the church; after the church wedding the priest confirmed the marriage and the Common annotated the record)

of 9 Maggio(may) of wedding celebration in the church; in 11 may married in church as priest signed; more: the priest send an copy of church marriage to Common, so the Common note to border the church's act reception(ricezione), and this is normal; so Giuseppe and Filomena was married 11 may in the church, 9 may in common, but for italian age, the wedding was completed only after wedding in church, so the date of 11 may is of effective, concrete, real marriage... the spouse cannot live in same house untill church marriage... about 26 may I no read on this act .. where are this date?
About Giuseppa Manfrida was already decesead so was present only the father of Filomena.
Resume:
-civil solemn promising 9 May 1862
-marriage (catholic and civil notation in 11 may 1862).
regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby DonnaPellegrin » 25 Aug 2005, 07:36

suanj,
Grazie mille per il Suo aiuto. È così meraviglioso per averLa qui per aiutarci. Grazie per il Suo chiarimento. Ora io capisco questo documento. Io spero che un giorno o l'altro io sarò capace rimborsare la Sua gentilezza.
Donna

suanj,
Thank you very much for your help. It is so wonderful to have you here to help us. Thank you for your explanation. Now I understand this document. I hope that someday I will be able to repay your kindness.
Donna
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Postby suanj » 25 Aug 2005, 10:48

Donna,
la tua amicizia per me è il miglior rimborso..

Donna,
your friendship, for me, is the better reimbursing ..
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations