Seeking translation of Pegno birth record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
AVecchio

Seeking translation of Pegno birth record

Postby AVecchio » 05 Aug 2015, 20:22

Hello. I am attempting to translate a birth document for my great-grandmother who lived in Petralia Sottana in Sicily. I recently found out she was adopted and would like to know the circumstances of her birth, specifically who found her and where, and where she was taken (it seems it was someplace in Palermo). I also think she may have been abandoned. Would like to know if there was a note and how she came to have her name. Thank you so much for your help!
Attachments
IntrabartoloLouisa(Pegno)Birth.jpg
Translation sought

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Seeking translation of Pegno birth record

Postby Tessa78 » 06 Aug 2015, 19:27

Here is what I read...

Dated 18 November 1872 at 2 PM at the town office in Petralia Soltana, before the official appeared Antonia Cannata, receiver of the abandoned, age 64, residing in Petralia, to declare that today at 11 AM was found at the wheel of abandoned babies (ruota dei bambini proietti), a female child who she was presenting - it appears that this child had no signs or notes with/attached to her. She appeared to be about 20 hours of age. She was given (by the official) the name Eluisa Pegno, and released to a wet-nurse, Filippa Bxxxxini(?) for transport to an orphange (Instituto dei Trovatelli) in Palermo
Witnesses to the record were Mariano Sabatino, municipal guard, 43; and Apolonio Solumone(?), another municipal worker, ae 60, both residents.

T.

PippoM
Master
Master

Postby PippoM » 07 Aug 2015, 08:17

Hi Tessa! :-)
I'd say wetnurse's surname was "Bencivenni".
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 07 Aug 2015, 22:00

Hi Pippo! :-D

I think you are correct! Bencivinni is found in Petralia Soprana!

T.

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”