Concetta Antista-Death Record NYC

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
ItalianbellaSA
Elite
Elite

Concetta Antista-Death Record NYC

Postby ItalianbellaSA » 18 Aug 2015, 01:45

Hi Everyone!
I am not sure what to do about this record I found for Concetta Antista. She is the sister of my husband's grandfather. She was born in Polizzi Generosa on Nov. 1, 1881. I know she immigrated in 1903 to Ellis Island with her brother, Gandolfo. I just found a death record in New York City for Concetta Antista, born in 1881. The record is an "Index Only", so I don't know if it is actually my Concetta Antista. Does anyone know if these record are available for viewing? Since the year of birth is correct, do I automatically put this on my tree without real verification?

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse. ... &ml_rpos=1

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Sue Antista
It is hoped that the research I am doing helps to discover, preserve and celebrate my family history.

Sue Antista
ItalianbellaSA

erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Concetta Antista-Death Record NYC

Postby erudita74 » 18 Aug 2015, 01:50

Sue
Does this help?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:27BV-58R

If the info does, you can send for a copy of the record from the NYC municipal archives; certificate # 2288 Manhattan

http://italiangen.org/records-search/deaths.php

Erudita

ItalianbellaSA
Elite
Elite

Postby ItalianbellaSA » 18 Aug 2015, 02:14

Wow! Yes, this is a big help! Her dad was Cusimano Antista and her mom was Giuseppa Stefana Armano. I think that information is pretty close to the parents name. Thank you so much.
It is hoped that the research I am doing helps to discover, preserve and celebrate my family history.

Sue Antista
ItalianbellaSA

ItalianbellaSA
Elite
Elite

Postby ItalianbellaSA » 18 Aug 2015, 03:10

I think Concetta was married to Savici Dimoria and had a child named Benedetta Dimoria on March 7, 1904. I can't seem to find their marriage record.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2W47-7B2

Sue Antista
ItalianbellaSA

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 19 Aug 2015, 22:43

Sue
I see that your question and my response are now gone from the forum. First of all, you're very welcome. I'm glad I found the marriage record info in my post above. You asked me how I did so. I went onto the italgen website and did a sound search of the surname Dimoria in the groom's index. That was the surname you found in the extraction of the 1904 birth record on familysearch. I narrowed down the years from 1903 to 1904, as I had seen Concetta's passenger list and knew she arrived in the U.S. in April of 1903. I also limited the search to Manhattan. Forty-two marriages came up in the list, so I went marriage by marriage looking at the brides' names. There was only 1 Concetta and her surname looked a bad spelling of the correct one. I then used that info on family search. I went to NY and then to the NYC municipal marriage records and searched the Dimaria surname, which I now had from the groom's index. That's how I found the extracted info from the record. When I saw that the groom's mother's first name was a variant in spelling of the child's name, I felt confident that I had found the correct marriage info. I had previously tried to do a sound search of the way Concetta's surname was misspelled on her passenger list, but that didn't yield any positive results.

I also was thinking that the groom had come from Polizzi as well, since Concetta married him so soon after arriving in the U.S. I only looked at Polizzi birth indices from 1879 to 1881 though, but didn't see him listed. I saw a few others with his surname, but the parents on those birth records were not the same as his. I was hoping to get the correct spelling of their names too.

In the NYC groom's index, there is someone with his name who married in 1907, so he may have remarried. You might want to check that out.

Erudita

ItalianbellaSA
Elite
Elite

Postby ItalianbellaSA » 24 Aug 2015, 03:19

Thank you very much for all your information. This is the best site for help with genealogy. I always seem to learn from each and every post. There are times that I just read each forum entry just to absorb a little more with every visit.

Sue Antista
ItalianbellaSA

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”