Vita Sgroi Help? what is all this

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
stokkster1
Elite
Elite

Vita Sgroi Help? what is all this

Postby stokkster1 » 22 Aug 2015, 06:25

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,352218601

Okay so it kind of looks like a birth record, but different, I can only make out a few things.

erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Vita Sgroi Help? what is all this

Postby erudita74 » 22 Aug 2015, 13:22

This record is different because this infant was born in Tunisia and not in S. Giuseppe Jato-

Dated Jan 8th 1888 at 10 a.m. in the town hall of S. Giuseppe Jato. The official there received a letter from the civil court of Palermo which was dated the 7th of the current month requesting that the copy of the birth act for Vita Sgroi, be transcribed into the registers of the volume of allegati of S. Giuseppe Jato.

Vita was born in Tunisia and not in S. Giuseppe Jato. Her birth act # 3 was dated Jan 3, 1887 at 10:40 a.m. in the consulate office where Giuseppe Sgroi, age 32, a peasant born in S Giuseppe Jato, Province of Palermo, but resident in Tunisia, appeared. He reported that at 7 P.M. on the 2nd of the current month in Tunisia, in the house located on Via Beb. Alina, his wife Antonia Locicero, a housewife, gave birth to a female infant who was NOT being presented but being given the name Vita Bona. Witnesses were Francesco Miceli, age 36, and Giuseppe Gallo, age 49, both residents here. The baby was NOT presented due to the excessive cold.

Erudita

stokkster1
Elite
Elite

Postby stokkster1 » 22 Aug 2015, 20:30

erudita74 wrote:This record is different because this infant was born in Tunisia and not in S. Giuseppe Jato-

Dated Jan 8th 1888 at 10 a.m. in the town hall of S. Giuseppe Jato. The official there received a letter from the civil court of Palermo which was dated the 7th of the current month requesting that the copy of the birth act for Vita Sgroi, be transcribed into the registers of the volume of allegati of S. Giuseppe Jato.

Vita was born in Tunisia and not in S. Giuseppe Jato. Her birth act # 3 was dated Jan 3, 1887 at 10:40 a.m. in the consulate office where Giuseppe Sgroi, age 32, a peasant born in S Giuseppe Jato, Province of Palermo, but resident in Tunisia, appeared. He reported that at 7 P.M. on the 2nd of the current month in Tunisia, in the house located on Via Beb. Alina, his wife Antonia Locicero, a housewife, gave birth to a female infant who was NOT being presented but being given the name Vita Bona. Witnesses were Francesco Miceli, age 36, and Giuseppe Gallo, age 49, both residents here. The baby was NOT presented due to the excessive cold.

Erudita

So is BONA the last name? or middle name? of Vita?

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 23 Aug 2015, 04:30

That "Bona" is strange. If that was intended as part of her name then it would have been her given name, that is, her name was Vita Bona Sgroi. The record states in a couple of places that her name was Vita Sgroi, but then in the part where the child's given name ("nome") was written, it says "il nome di Vita - Bona -...." The part after "Bona" is the next sentence. Was her given name Vita-Bona? Did someone make a mistake? Bona is normally a surname in Sicily, also written Bono or Buono.

stokkster1
Elite
Elite

Postby stokkster1 » 23 Aug 2015, 05:57

carubia wrote:That "Bona" is strange. If that was intended as part of her name then it would have been her given name, that is, her name was Vita Bona Sgroi. The record states in a couple of places that her name was Vita Sgroi, but then in the part where the child's given name ("nome") was written, it says "il nome di Vita - Bona -...." The part after "Bona" is the next sentence. Was her given name Vita-Bona? Did someone make a mistake? Bona is normally a surname in Sicily, also written Bono or Buono.

I have no clue at the moment I am slowly moving through these records and the family is starting to fall in place. Where on earth is tunsisa anyways is it close by?

stokkster1
Elite
Elite

Postby stokkster1 » 23 Aug 2015, 06:08

stokkster1 wrote:
carubia wrote:That "Bona" is strange. If that was intended as part of her name then it would have been her given name, that is, her name was Vita Bona Sgroi. The record states in a couple of places that her name was Vita Sgroi, but then in the part where the child's given name ("nome") was written, it says "il nome di Vita - Bona -...." The part after "Bona" is the next sentence. Was her given name Vita-Bona? Did someone make a mistake? Bona is normally a surname in Sicily, also written Bono or Buono.

I have no clue at the moment I am slowly moving through these records and the family is starting to fall in place. Where on earth is tunsisa anyways is it close by?

well look at this Here is a birth records for Francesca Sgroi in 1848 if I am reading this right it says she was born May 8 1848 Mother VITA BONA father Giuseppe Sgroi both 30

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,353357801

So what does this whole Viat BONA thing mean???

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 23 Aug 2015, 06:20

Tunisia is a county in northern Africa. It is very close to Italy, Sicily in particular, on the south shore of the Mediterranean Sea. It was in ancient times called Carthage and after Carthage was conquered by Rome became the Roman colony of "Africa." Many Italians, particularly Sicilians, moved there in the 19th c., forming a population of Italian Tunisians of more than 100,000 by the early 20th c. Their children's birth records from Tunisia often show up in part II birth records in Sicilian towns up until the 1920s. In the mid 19th c. it became a French colony and remained so until 1956.

It's a lovely country, with a diverse range of attractions, including nice beaches that attract European vacationers and some of the best-preserved Roman ruins, the northern part of the Sahara desert, as well as villages where people still dwell in caves and alien-looking old structures that were used in Star Wars movies. It's a shame that terrorists have assaulted the country recently.

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 23 Aug 2015, 07:21

That is indeed an extract of a birth record from 7 May 1844 for Francesca Sgroi, born to Giuseppe Sgroi and Vita B(on)o. I put the "on" in parentheses because I'm not certain about those letters. It was part of allegati, perhaps for Francesca's marriage. However, the other Vita Bona Sgroi was born in 1887, and her father Giuseppe was 32 and thus born around 1855.

BTW, the name is most commonly spelled Bono. You probably know who Sonny Bono was. His father was from Montelepre in Palermo province, not far from San Giuseppe Jato (it's due north). The name is also common in Sciacca in Agrigento province, where I do a lot of genealogy.

stokkster1
Elite
Elite

Postby stokkster1 » 26 Aug 2015, 04:58

carubia wrote:That is indeed an extract of a birth record from 7 May 1844 for Francesca Sgroi, born to Giuseppe Sgroi and Vita B(on)o. I put the "on" in parentheses because I'm not certain about those letters. It was part of allegati, perhaps for Francesca's marriage. However, the other Vita Bona Sgroi was born in 1887, and her father Giuseppe was 32 and thus born around 1855.

BTW, the name is most commonly spelled Bono. You probably know who Sonny Bono was. His father was from Montelepre in Palermo province, not far from San Giuseppe Jato (it's due north). The name is also common in Sciacca in Agrigento province, where I do a lot of genealogy.

Furthering our conversation I just found this can you tell me what the husband last name is?
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,353367601 note that the wife is Vita Bono married to Giuseppe sgroi.

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 26 Aug 2015, 05:16

The groom is Francesco Italiano, son of Antonino (Italiano) and Anna Frisina.

stokkster1
Elite
Elite

Postby stokkster1 » 26 Aug 2015, 08:50

carubia wrote:The groom is Francesco Italiano, son of Antonino (Italiano) and Anna Frisina.

Thank you :D

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”