Maria Leto See her name What am I looking at?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
stokkster1
Elite
Elite

Maria Leto See her name What am I looking at?

Postby stokkster1 » 23 Aug 2015, 01:15

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,353357801

So I am moving into what looks like older records and I really don't understand what I am looking at so I am just looking for names in my family, I see the name Maria Leto in this record but have no clue what it says. Help Please & Thank you :oops:

carubia
Master
Master

Re: Maria Leto See her name What am I looking at?

Postby carubia » 23 Aug 2015, 04:36

This is an example of allegati. These were records submitted as proof for registering some other event. For example, when people got married, they had to submit copies of their birth records and also death records for previous spouses, sometimes their previous marriage record if they were married before, and sometimes their parents' death records (if they were underage).

In this case, a baptismal record from 1815 was being submitted for something that occurred in 1866 (probably a marriage of Maria Leto). Since there were no civil records in most of Sicily in 1815, they had to use a church baptismal record in lieu of a birth record, but church records were in Latin, which is why part of this record is in Latin.

I'll look at the details later.

stokkster1
Elite
Elite

Postby stokkster1 » 23 Aug 2015, 05:54

carubia wrote:This is an example of allegati. These were records submitted as proof for registering some other event. For example, when people got married, they had to submit copies of their birth records and also death records for previous spouses, sometimes their previous marriage record if they were married before, and sometimes their parents' death records (if they were underage).

In this case, a baptismal record from 1815 was being submitted for something that occurred in 1866 (probably a marriage of Maria Leto). Since there were no civil records in most of Sicily in 1815, they had to use a church baptismal record in lieu of a birth record, but church records were in Latin, which is why part of this record is in Latin.

I'll look at the details later.

Okay it is making sense, now as I moved through these records they are marriages, and each Marriage has records attached, So I found I think two of mine, with some death records attached for Sgroi & Geloso those are important I think it will move be back further.

Debbie

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 23 Aug 2015, 08:00

I took another look. This is a baptismal record for Antonino Maria Scamardi, son of Giuseppe Scamardi and Maria Leto. This was included in the allegati for the marriage of Antonino with Calogera Barone.

stokkster1
Elite
Elite

Postby stokkster1 » 23 Aug 2015, 20:57

Thank you

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”