Elizabetta Sticca's birth

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jbrusa

Elizabetta Sticca's birth

Postby jbrusa » 31 Aug 2015, 17:26

I would very much like an English translation of this record of birth of Elizabetta Sticca. Thank you very much.
Attachments
Elizabetta_Sticca_birth.gif

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Elizabetta Sticca's birth

Postby Tessa78 » 31 Aug 2015, 20:01

Dated 17 July 1902 at 9:15 AM at the town office.
Before the official ... of the town of Tocco Casauria..
Appeared Giustina Luccaro, age 52, midwife residing in Tocco Casauria, to declare that at 5:20 PM on the 15th of the current month, at the house at Via di Gaspari(?) #23, to Maria Sabatina, wife of Gregorio Sticca, peasant farmers residing in Tocco Casauria, was born a female child who was presented to the official and to whom was given the name Elisabetta.

Witnesses to the above [recording of] the act were Pasquale Tucci, 68, peasant farmer, and Vincenzo Galli, 52, peasant farmer, both residing in this town.
The declarant announced the said birth as she assisted in the birth, and in place of the husband of Sabatina, because he had emigrated to North America to find work.
The official read the act to all the participants and only the declarant signed with him as the witnesses were illiterate.

T.

jbrusa

Postby jbrusa » 31 Aug 2015, 21:49

This is incredible! Thank you so much! Now I need to find why Elisabetta was listed as the daughter of Marietta Esposito on the ship's manifest on her immigration to the US.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 31 Aug 2015, 21:52

Can you post the manifest? Maybe we can help solve the "mystery?"

In the birth act you posted for Maria, it notes many items that were left with the child. These would have been used to help identify the child and parents should they want to recognize her...
It is possible that Maria Sabatina's parents returned to claim her (recognize her)
and that she was given her legal birth name at that time (Marietta Esposito?)
The recognition would be in the Parte II of the birth records, but not necessarily in the year Maria was born. It could be one, several or many years later. You have a date for the immigration manifest? You could look at part 2 records before that date :-)

EDIT TO ADD

Here is the link to the manifest...
Elisa(betta) Sticca, age 4, traveling with Marietta Esposita, going to husband Gregorio Sticca in Rome, NY

If Maria Sabatina was recognized it would have been between birth of Elisabetta and immigration (from 1902 to 1906)

NOTE: Did you notice that Marietta's father-in-law, Eustacchio Sticca, age 61, is also traveling to Rome, NY, to his son Gregorio Sticca?

http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/p ... 5pZmVzdCI7

Do not know if you have this birth act for Gregorio Sticca in 1877.

It appears that his daughter Elisabetta is named for his mother :-)
Born 20 March 1877
Father: Eustacchio Sticca, 32, peasant farmer
Mother: Elisabetta Tucci, his wife, residing with him
Born at the house at Via de Gasperis(?)
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Marriage of Gregorio Sticca and Maria Sabatina on 8 July 1901

T.

jbrusa

Postby jbrusa » 01 Sep 2015, 14:23

This is an amazing service! Thank you so much.

I have the manifest but it looks like you already found it. How did you find the birth record of Gregorio Sticca? I couldn't find it using the same site I used to find the others.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 01 Sep 2015, 14:48

jbrusa wrote:This is an amazing service! Thank you so much.

I have the manifest but it looks like you already found it. How did you find the birth record of Gregorio Sticca? I couldn't find it using the same site I used to find the others.

The site links above for the birth of Gregorio and the marriage of Gregorio and Maria are at the Italian Archives site...
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.it/home

Here is the translation of the marriage act which I posted above :-)

Marriage Act #10
Dated 8 July (corrected from June) 1901 at 10:15 AM at town office in Tocco Casauria
Before the official appeared
1 - Gregorio Sticca, 24, peasant farmer born in TC, resident in said town, son of Eustacchio and of deceased Elisabetta Tucci, who resided in this town;
and
2 - Maria Sabbatina (that is the spelling here), 23, weaver , daughter of unknown father and unknown mother...
Banns were posted in Tocco Casauria on 23 and 30 June.

Interesting - Maria appears to have been educated. She signed the marriage record along with the witnesses and official. Her husband did not as he was illiterate.

***EDIT TO ADD***
Here is the birth of Gregorio's father, Eustachio Sticca in 1845

Birth Act #95
Dated 22 September 1845 at 10 PM before the official at the town office in Tocco, District of Chieti, Province of Abruzzo Citeriore appeared
Carmine Sticca, 35, a green grocer residing in this town, to present a male child... and declare that the child was born to Rosa Iacuone, his legitimate wife, age 22, residing in Tocco, and to the declarant (himself), and the child was born today, 22 September at 6 PM at home.
The child was given the name Eustachio.

The right side of the image indicates a baptism at the Mother Church in Tocco on 23 September.

Notation on the left side of the birth act states:
On 11 August 1872 in Tocco Casauria, was celebrated the marriage between Eustachio Sticca, and Elisabetta Tucci [daughter of Antonio] both residents of the town.

T.

jbrusa

Postby jbrusa » 01 Sep 2015, 16:40

Wow! Awesome! Thanks again :D

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 01 Sep 2015, 22:56

Here is the link to the marriage of Eustacio Sticca and Elisabetta Tucci on 11 August 1872

T.

jbrusa

Postby jbrusa » 11 Sep 2015, 14:47

For a long time I believed that my great grandmother's name was Marietta Esposito because she was listed as the mother of Elisabetta Sticca (my grandmother) on the ship's manifest in 1906. After finding the birth act of my grandmother Elisabetta Sticca (17-Jul-1902), I discovered that her mother's name was Maria Sabatino, a foundling born 08-Jun-1978.

Thanks to you and this amazing web site, I gained so much more information; however the mystery is still there - are Marietta Esposito and Maria Sabatino the same person? You also found for me the record of marriage of Maria Sabatino to Gregorio Sticca in 1901.

One theory you proposed is that the parents of Maria Sabatino found her and she changed her name to her real name, Marietta Esposito. This is plausible and I would not have thought of it on my own, but this would have happened after she was already married to Gregorio Sticca in 1901 as Maria Sabatino, and after she had her first child Elisabetta Sticca on 17-Jul-1902.

I've done many searches on Antenati and cannot find any information about a Marietta Esposito in Tocco da Casauria. Is there any information you can find about Marietta Esposito born approximately in 1878 and whether or not she is the same person as Maria Sabatino?

Any information you can find or additional theories you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for providing such a wonderful service!

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 11 Sep 2015, 17:28

I checked records for birth of a Marietta Esposito - did not find.
Also checked for a possible "recognition" of Maria Sabatino in the Parte II records, and allegati.
Checked deaths for Maria Sabatino before 1906- did not find.
Checked for possible remarriage of Gregorio Sticca - nothing. (I did not expect to find this as Gregorio immigrated to USA in 1902)

The only thing I can offer is the 1910 US Census for Gregorio Sticca and his wife Marietta... they indicate that they have been married for 9 years, making the date of marriage 1901 - that is the year he married Maria Sabatino in Tocco.

T.

PippoM
Master
Master

Postby PippoM » 14 Sep 2015, 12:49

Birth record of Maria Sabatina (or had it already been posted?):

Yet, there are no annotations about a possible adoption.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”