reading birth record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Anizio
Elite
Elite

reading birth record

Postby Anizio » 01 Oct 2015, 21:19

Hi,

I need some help reading the beginning of this church record. My ancestor is Dora Valente, daughter of Menco Valente. I am sure this is her birth, but I am having trouble actually reading it fully beyond recognizing those two names. Most importantly the date, the spelling of her name, and the mother's name

This is what I can get:

____ Agosto 1601

Deodora/Teodora figlia leg.me di Mencho Valente et moglie donna _____madre della fu battez.a da

Thanks for any help!
Attachments
Genealogy Text Question.png
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information

PippoM
Master
Master

Re: reading birth record

Postby PippoM » 02 Oct 2015, 10:39

And this is what I seemed to get:

Anizio wrote:
XI Agosto 1601

Deodora/Teodora figlia leg.me di Mencho Valente et moglie donna Giovanna madre della d(etta) fu battez.a da me D. Gio Batta Bertoli da xxxxxx [then there must be the "title" of the priest] di san Lazero di ... fu co(m)par xxxeppe de Mateo sarto (?) ....

Thanks for any help!

If you could post the whole image, it could be of help! :-)
Where is this record from?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 02 Oct 2015, 14:56

after the abbreviation for the title Donna, I believe the mother's first name is Giovanna

The date may be Aug 11. (I see xi)

Erudita

Anizio
Elite
Elite

Postby Anizio » 03 Oct 2015, 18:54

Thanks!

Its a church record from Cerasa, a frazione of San Costanzo in Pesaro e Urbino.
A couple of amateur genealogists in the region have digitized a bunch of church records from several towns which has allowed me to begin tracing several lines into the 1600s and 1500s :)
Luckily the church records in the region are extremely helpful almost always giving towns of origin and other helpful detail.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”