How does one read the riveli?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
carubia
Master
Master

How does one read the riveli?

Postby carubia » 11 Oct 2015, 08:48

I have viewed the riveli for Ribera from 1811 and 1815, and while I can find my great-grandfather and his brothers in it, I can't seem to extract any other useful information from it. Here are images from the 1815 one:

In the first image (1815 census C LHS) you can see (maestro) Luciano Carubia toward the bottom, on page 491. A couple of lines above him is his brother (maestro) Francesco Carubia, on p. 471. After the names is a string of numbers, which you can see in the images I've labeled "mid" and "RHS." For example, for Luciano, they are 0,1,2,2,1,3,3, and then =,1,0,1. What do these numbers mean? For Francesco the numbers are 0,0,2,3,1,1,2 and _,_,9,0.

In the next post I'll show the images of pp. 471 and 491 where there is more information on these numbers.

At this time, Luciano was married with 1 or 2 children, but Francesco was still single.
Attachments
1815 census C RHS.jpg
1815 census C mid.jpg
1815 census C LHS.jpg

carubia
Master
Master

Re: How does one read the riveli?

Postby carubia » 11 Oct 2015, 09:09

Here are pages 471 and 491. The page number is in the upper right-hand corner.

On page 491, the sequence of numbers 1:2:2:1:3:3 is repeated (but not the other numbers further to the right in the aforementioned index). The first number is the number of "bisaccia." The second is "t.li" with the "li" as a superscript. Then "mondelli." Then something I can't make out - it looks like "casi." Then "q.ti" with "ti" as a superscript. Then "q.tiglie" with "tiglie" as a superscript.

On page 471, the word "t.li" is spelled out as "tumolli." Then "curozzo." Then "q.to," because there is only 1 here instead of 3. There are no bisaccia and the other 2 words are the same as on page 491.

The only word I can find a translation of is bisaccia, which means "haversack." Is curozzo related to carrozza?

Then below this part is another where they seem to be listing whose property borders this one. On p. 491 it is that of Anna Sortino, Giachino Zabara (Gioacchino Zabbara), Serafino Tallo, and Antonio Gentiluomo, whereas on p. 471 it is that of Don Francesco Garamella, Pietro Lanza, and Girolamo Lo Monaco. Is my understanding correct?

Finally, we have a list of perhaps the people who actually live there. On p. 491 it is only Luciano Carubia, whereas on p. 471 it is Don Giovanni Maria Muscarnera, Francesco Carubia, and Paolo Campione. What is that word that appears after Giovanni Muscarnera's name and above Campione? What is that word that appears before "di mro Francesco Carubia"? Is any connection apparent among the 3 men listed on p. 471?

Thank you, as always, for you help.
Attachments
1815 census p471.jpg
1815 census p491.jpg

Marcello_DAleo
Master
Master

Re: How does one read the riveli?

Postby Marcello_DAleo » 11 Oct 2015, 12:14

carubia wrote:I have viewed the riveli for Ribera from 1811 and 1815, and while I can find my great-grandfather and his brothers in it, I can't seem to extract any other useful information from it.

In fact in the 1811 riveli (revised in 1815) only the owners of lands and houses are listed. And their family members (wives, children...) are not listed.
Instead, the riveli from 1748-1756 backward are more useful for genalogical researches because all householders are listed (owners and non-owners), with wives, children, age (of males only) and often their parents' names.
Visit my web site!
Southern Italy Genealogical Center
http://www.sicilygenealogy.com/

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”