Salvatore Geloso & Maria Anna Salamone Marriage

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
stokkster1
Elite
Elite

Salvatore Geloso & Maria Anna Salamone Marriage

Postby stokkster1 » 06 Jan 2016, 00:55

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2046915

its on page 131 #164 on the bottom of the left hand side of the page, The link keeps going to page 130 so please click over to the next page

Could someone please help translate this record It is a marriage record, but I can't read what it says Looks like maybe they married Feb 2 1842? His parents might be Vincent & flippia Fervanti? Maria Anna Salamone d/o Francesco? and Vita Abbate

does it say where they were born? How old they were?

Thank you

Debbie

carubia
Master
Master

Re: Salvatore Geloso & Maria Anna Salamone Marriage

Postby carubia » 06 Jan 2016, 03:34

The marriage date was 22 Apr 1842. The 3rd and last marriage bann was published on 2 Feb.

The father of Salvatore Geluso (=Geloso) was the deceased Vincenzo (Geluso) and his mother was the still living Filippa Ferranti. The parents of Maria Anna Salomone were the deceased Francesco (Salomone ) and living Vita Abbate.

As far as I've seen, ages are not indicated in church marriage records from Sicily at that time, and they are not in this record. The records don't really indicate where someone was born either but rather where they were "from" (where they are currently living or where they were living in the past if they recently moved). This is expressed in various ways in records from different places, but here I think the "h. comm." indicates that they were from the same place as the marriage.

stokkster1
Elite
Elite

Postby stokkster1 » 06 Jan 2016, 03:55

carubia wrote:The marriage date was 22 Apr 1842. The 3rd and last marriage bann was published on 2 Feb.

The father of Salvatore Geluso (=Geloso) was the deceased Vincenzo (Geluso) and his mother was the still living Filippa Ferranti. The parents of Maria Anna Salomone were the deceased Francesco (Salomone ) and living Vita Abbate.

As far as I've seen, ages are not indicated in church marriage records from Sicily at that time, and they are not in this record. The records don't really indicate where someone was born either but rather where they were "from" (where they are currently living or where they were living in the past if they recently moved). This is expressed in various ways in records from different places, but here I think the "h. comm." indicates that they were from the same place as the marriage.

Thank you very much, I am a bit confused though because Maria Annna Salamones death record says father Francesco and mother Vita (Marchese) but I know I have the right marriage because in 1845 they have a daughter named Philippa and I just found her Birth record, could there be an error in the name on the death record?

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 06 Jan 2016, 04:20

Of course there could be an error in the death record. Errors in death records were very common, and become more common the further back you go. Maiden names of women were especially prone to be mistaken, perhaps because women were often referred to as so-and-so's wife so that their surnames were not used much. Moreover, it was common, in some of Sicily at least, to refer to women by their mother's surnames instead of their father's, so it's possible that the surname Marchese was that of her mother (or maybe Abbate was her mother's surname).

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”