Palazzolo & di Lorenzo MG

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
stokkster1
Elite
Elite

Palazzolo & di Lorenzo MG

Postby stokkster1 » 17 Jan 2016, 03:31

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2046915

This date is hard to read but I think it Jul 20 1737?

Mariano Palazzolo to Josepha Di Lorenzo

what is throwing is parents names What is after Mariano's name? are his parents Nicholas Antonino & antonia? Hers Vincenzo & Vincenza Catherine???

erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Palazzolo & di Lorenzo MG

Postby erudita74 » 17 Jan 2016, 13:44

I'm not 100% on the date, but I believe it is Jan 10, 1737. I am basing this on the dates of the banns of marriage in the record. I see Dec 30 and 31st and then the 1st of Jan 1737. The problem is that the record preceding it is dated in Nov and the one following it appears to be dated in Sept with banns in Aug and early Sept. Anyway that is what I am able to decipher concerning the date.

as to what follows Mariano's name-"innuba huius terre filius leg (with superscript letter-letter up in the air as part of the abbreviation) et nat qnda"-meaning "unmarried of this territory or land son legitimate and natural of deceased ...."

the following might be of help to you

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... _Word_List

Mariano's father, Nicola Antonio was deceased (the reason why you have the abbreviation qnda for the Latin word quondam before his name. The mother was alive (I see the word viventis after her name meaning "living"). The olim jug after her name means "formerly spouses". The jug is an abbreviation for the Latin word jugalis. The mother was Antonina.

The mother of the bride was just Caterina. The word in front of her name is the same word viventis (living). So she was alive but the bride's father was deceased.

Hope this helps.

Erudita

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 17 Jan 2016, 15:04

As for the date, I also see 10 Jan 1837. It looks like originally a date in 1836 was written and then corrected. The next record looks like 13 Sep 1838! Then the one after that is again 10 Jan 1837 and the next is 9 Feb 1837.

It's not unusual to see church marriage records out of chronological order, but this is an extreme case.

stokkster1
Elite
Elite

Postby stokkster1 » 18 Jan 2016, 18:02

erudita74 wrote:I'm not 100% on the date, but I believe it is Jan 10, 1737. I am basing this on the dates of the banns of marriage in the record. I see Dec 30 and 31st and then the 1st of Jan 1737. The problem is that the record preceding it is dated in Nov and the one following it appears to be dated in Sept with banns in Aug and early Sept. Anyway that is what I am able to decipher concerning the date.

as to what follows Mariano's name-"innuba huius terre filius leg (with superscript letter-letter up in the air as part of the abbreviation) et nat qnda"-meaning "unmarried of this territory or land son legitimate and natural of deceased ...."

the following might be of help to you

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... _Word_List

Mariano's father, Nicola Antonio was deceased (the reason why you have the abbreviation qnda for the Latin word quondam before his name. The mother was alive (I see the word viventis after her name meaning "living"). The olim jug after her name means "formerly spouses". The jug is an abbreviation for the Latin word jugalis. The mother was Antonina.

The mother of the bride was just Caterina. The word in front of her name is the same word viventis (living). So she was alive but the bride's father was deceased.

Hope this helps.

Erudita

Thank you, got it! you guys are such great help, and because of you I can help people also with the more simpler reading LOL feels good to give back

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 19 Jan 2016, 01:20

Glad you saw my reply. Happy to help.
Erudita

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”