Help w/ 1847 Marriage Documentation- Genealogy Chart?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
calcinare

Help w/ 1847 Marriage Documentation- Genealogy Chart?

Postby calcinare » 31 Jan 2016, 22:07

Hello, this is my first post. I am hoping that someone can help me to understand what is written on the three pages starting with the one linked below (Images 121-122). These appear in the back of an 1847 marriage record from Ripabottoni. It looks like a genealogy chart for a Leonardo Cappuccilli, but I am not sure how to read it.

I know that Leonardo was the son of a Francesco, and that he had brothers named Crescenzo and Domenico Antonio (is this what lines 10 and 20 mean?). If so, then Line 30 is where I get lost as there was no brother in this generation named Giuseppe (that I can find). However, I know that Francesco (Leonardo’s dad) was the son of a Crescenzo who was the son of a Giovanni (which seems to fit with part of line 30). Who would Giuseppe be then?

The maternal Cristofaro section is even more of a mystery to me. Leonardo Cappuccilli’s mother was Grazia, who was the daughter of a Leonardo Cristofaro (who was the son of a Pasquale). The names in the chart appear to be Ludovico, Giacomo, and Leonardo (perhaps her father?), and an older one that may be Giuseppe. Who are they, and why would there be no mention of Leonardo’s father Pasquale (i.e., Grazia’s grandfather)?

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Help w/ 1847 Marriage Documentation- Genealogy Chart?

Postby Tessa78 » 01 Feb 2016, 22:34

The lines are first, second, third - not 10, 20 and 30 :-)
The first is primo and is written as 1 with a superscript "o" , 2 with superscipt, etc.

On the third line, where you see Giuseppe, you can see the word "Cugino" at the end. Giuseppe is a cousin.

In the maternal line... 4th (Ludovico) and 5th (Giacomo) are also cousins.
I do not believe the Leonardo on the 6th line is her father. He is listed as age 31.

Hoping someone else will take a look as well. The writing is terribly faded.
But it appears that the groom is a minor, and since his father (and mother?) is deceased, consent is being given by a family council "Consiglio di Famiglia"(those listed on the second page.) They appear to be living family members from both sides of the family.

T.

calcinare

Postby calcinare » 02 Feb 2016, 19:48

Thank you for this explanation, Tessa. Both of Leonardo's parents were deceased at the time of the marriage. I did not realize that those were numbers indicating ages, nor that those other lines were actually abbreviations using superscripts. I will have to look into the maternal line more to try and find the missing link in my research as none of those people tie-in with anyone I have come across so far.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 02 Feb 2016, 22:32

Happy to help! :-)

Here is a definition of the "Consiglio di Famiglia" from this site...

Consiglio di famiglia:
"Family Council": legal process in which a committee of relatives and family friends acceptable to a judge decides whether a minor or a person whose parents and grandparents are not alive may marry such and such a person. Example: Family council from 1844 (in Italian only).

http://www.roangelo.net/vocabula.html

T.

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”