Death Extract: Giacomantonio Cavallo Alias ?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 2560
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Death Extract: Giacomantonio Cavallo Alias ?

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 16 Feb 2016, 08:22

Could I please have Giacomantonio Cavallo's death extract translated. I'm not sure that I'm deciphering/interpreting all the words correctly. I've also posted the link to the actual Death Record, but the extract is much clearer.

Extract: http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Original Record No 6: http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Angela

User avatar
liviomoreno
Master
Master
Posts: 5432
Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Re: Death Extract: Giacomantonio Cavallo Alias ?

Postby liviomoreno » 16 Feb 2016, 11:39

Very hard to decipher, "Spia..".
Btw I found the extract sent by Salerno to Saponara http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 4843
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Death Extract: Giacomantonio Cavallo Alias ?

Postby erudita74 » 16 Feb 2016, 15:40

Angela
This may be a bit of a stretch, but I can't help but wonder if the alias is actually an adjective or descriptive word which relates to the surname Cavallo and its meaning. There was, for example, a breed of horses called Spirituoso. So a descriptive word such as that may have served as an alias for Giacomantonio.
Erudita

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 2560
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Death Extract: Giacomantonio Cavallo Alias ?

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 17 Feb 2016, 03:42

liviomoreno wrote:Very hard to decipher, "Spia..".
Btw I found the extract sent by Salerno to Saponara http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0


Yes, it is very hard to decipher. I've been looking at this record off and on for months now and just cannot work it out. I agree it starts "Spia" and then followed by a "d".

(Thank you so much for taking the time to find the original extract sent by Salerno. I didn't even think to look for this. I first found the death extract, amongst some 1855 Allegati which I was looking at, on a film, last year, then looked for the original 1813 death record, when the Antenati Site put these earlier records on line in September. I just matched the index numbers and was quite oblivious to the fact that the Salerno extract was there. Thank you.)

One question, where it says:

"...domiciliato in questo Comune neli ospedale di S.Pietro a Majella addetto per i carcerate, Strada S. Pietro numero ventuno, e morto in detto ospedale"

What does this mean exactly? I know that Giacomantonio's profession was bracciale, but when I read these words it sounds like he was an "officer for prisoners"? Or is it just saying that he died in that particular hospital for prisoners? which would then make him a prisoner? I'm not sure about this. What does mean exactly?

Angela

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 2560
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Death Extract: Giacomantonio Cavallo Alias ?

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 17 Feb 2016, 03:53

erudita74 wrote:Angela
This may be a bit of a stretch, but I can't help but wonder if the alias is actually an adjective or descriptive word which relates to the surname Cavallo and its meaning. There was, for example, a breed of horses called Spirituoso. So a descriptive word such as that may have served as an alias for Giacomantonio.
Erudita


Thank you Erudita. It certainly makes sense. It's interesting that each of these three records spell the word differently. Whatever the word or name, it obviously wasn't very well known. It's a mystery. (I've managed to go back seven generations with this strand, and yet know very little about them?) Thank you for the help, Erudita.

Angela

User avatar
liviomoreno
Master
Master
Posts: 5432
Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Re: Death Extract: Giacomantonio Cavallo Alias ?

Postby liviomoreno » 17 Feb 2016, 07:27

AngelaGrace56 wrote:...

One question, where it says:

"...domiciliato in questo Comune neli ospedale di S.Pietro a Majella addetto per i carcerate, Strada S. Pietro numero ventuno, e morto in detto ospedale"

What does this mean exactly? I know that Giacomantonio's profession was bracciale, but when I read these words it sounds like he was an "officer for prisoners"? Or is it just saying that he died in that particular hospital for prisoners? which would then make him a prisoner? I'm not sure about this. What does mean exactly?

Angela


My interpretation is that he was working (and living) in the hospital.

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 2560
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Death Extract: Giacomantonio Cavallo Alias ?

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 17 Feb 2016, 10:47

Thank you, Livio. That was my thinking also, but I wasn't completely certain.
Angela


Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests