Need help with translation and understanding meaning...

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!

Need help with translation and understanding meaning...

Postby js1228 » 14 Mar 2016, 20:02

I posted this on the genealogy board as well, however I thought maybe I should have included here. :)

I came across some information online last night. I wasn't able to copy the text from the page, but I have attached a file with it below. It was from and is in Itailian and I'd love some help understanding the meaning of the information. It mentioned my 3rd great-grandfather Ferdinand Masciovecchio in the month of March numerous times. The google translation of the page isn't clear...but is it saying that he was a land-owner? I think it says 'owner of Paganica' and I don't understand what this means? If someone could take a look and help me understand what it actually means, that would be great!

Screen Shot 2016-03-14 at 2.43.43 PM.png

Re: Need help with translation and understanding meaning...

Postby liviomoreno » 15 Mar 2016, 07:58

These are the judgments issued by the civil court of Paganica.
Ferdinando Masciovecchio is a [land]owner living in Paganica (=proprietario di Paganica)
For example the last one states that in the civil case "Ferdinando Masciovecchio, landowner living in Paganica, vs. Pietro Ciuffini, farmer living in Tempera", Pietro Ciuffini has to pay, within 15 days, the sum of 38Carlini and 8Grana for the rental of a meadow in 1854

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”