atti vs. certificato

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
bmparent
Rookie
Rookie

atti vs. certificato

Postby bmparent » 28 Mar 2016, 03:22

What's the difference between atti di nascita and certificato di nascita? Is there one? Do they both mean birth certificate?

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: atti vs. certificato

Postby suanj » 28 Mar 2016, 07:31

Hi, that is the difference:
the "atti di nascita" are the Birth record wrote from Registrar on the Birth's register placed in the Vital Records office -Town Hall, compiled with data provided of informant and witnesses, at the Birth date or some day later (I remember max 8 days) and reporting all data about the Birth, and so, giving a identity to newborn.
Without a "atto di nascita", a person never existed for the government... and don't have the civil rights obviously.....

BY "atto di nascita" the person or his descendants can obtain the "certificato di nascita", by Vital Records Office in the Town Hall.
The clerk, check on the register at the provided date of Birth, and if he find the "atto di nascita/Birth act" check and compare all data on the "atto di nascita" with the data provided from customer, and if all right, releases the birth certificate helpful for the use under Italian law.

So the "certificato di nascita" coming from "atto di nascita".
Regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: atti vs. certificato

Postby suanj » 28 Mar 2016, 07:52

More:

when for some reason, cause(war, foire, water, earthquake etc) the "atto di nascita" is missed, or so damaged that cannot be read from clerk, the clerk cannot release a "certificato di nascita", but it is necessary to know, that the Registrar fill 2 times the same "atto di nascita( but also of Marriage or Death);
the 1th on the birth's register in the Town Hall, that is the only source to obtain the "certificato di nascita";
the 2th on the Birth register for the district Court. After a number of years required by Italian law (70 years), these registers are sent in the provincial archive of state and are availables for anyone, that can search own ancestors and to require a copy for genealogy (for example).

So the on second copy of Birth register a italian descent can find the atto di nascita of his italian ancestor and to obtain a copy.
A simple photocopy could be helpful for the use under italian law, as the italian citizenship by blood rights?
NOcannot be helpful, but it COULD BE VERY HELPFUL, if:
- the customer, having the negative reply from from the city clerk abt unavailability of "Atto di nascita" and consequently he can not release the "certificato di nascita", ask to Director of provincial archive a CERTIFIED COPY providing the appropriate TAX STAMP.

In this case the Italian Consulate in foreign country accept a certified copy from Archive of State's Director, but with also the negative reply from Vital Records office in the Town Hall.
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”