locating the record from the index, or maybe there isn't one

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
warriorrabbit
Veteran
Veteran

locating the record from the index, or maybe there isn't one

Postby warriorrabbit » 31 Mar 2016, 06:21

I'm not quite sure what the null for 'null, supplement 2' in 1819 is. Is that saying there's an index but no corresponding records?

If there is a record, I'm having trouble trying to zero in on it. It appears to be record 338 (but the one I found didn't match) for San Giovanni Parish. (Pasquale LaManna)
Here's the index page:
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 3.jpg.html

This is my first foray over in Reggio Calabria; I've been mostly poking around Messina up to now, and I don't recall running into an index like this. Any hints?

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: locating the record from the index, or maybe there isn't one

Postby liviomoreno » 31 Mar 2016, 08:23

That's kind of weird.
The image you posted, shows #338 Pasquale Lamanna, son of Cosmo and Caterina Sergi, born May 8 and baptized May 9.
The same info is found in "null, suppl 3" http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0 but with a different order nr, #474 Pasquale Lamanna, son of Cosimo and Caterina Sergi, born May 8 and baptized May 9.

In the book register, the record nr 268 is related to Cristofaro Lamanna, son of Cosimo (stone cutter aged 4X and Caterina Sergi, born May 8 and baptized May 9 in the Church of San Giovanni Extra.

PippoM
Master
Master

Postby PippoM » 31 Mar 2016, 08:24

It is a bapism index of churches in Reggio; I think it can be used for searching by date in birth register, as this is missing the index.
Your record of interest is this one:

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

But there must be an error in the index, as child's name is Cristoforo, rather than Pasquale; but father, mother and date are correct. Or name given to town officer was different from the name given at baptism (this is possible).
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

warriorrabbit
Veteran
Veteran

Postby warriorrabbit » 01 Apr 2016, 00:14

Thank you both. The two null supplements confuse me, in general... Why would you have two? Covering the same dates/churches? I didn't even look in 'null, suppl 3.' I should have gone through the actual records for May (instead of just looking at #338), but I was confused and the records are a little harder for me to read than usual.

This guy... I think of him as Pasquoforo. His grandson, the eldest son of his son Giuseppe, is Pasquale, so I expected his name to be Pasquale. His daughter's death certificate in New York (1906) listed him as Pasquale, and her brother Giuseppe's New Jersey death certificate (1924) also listed him as Pasquale (and mother Rosie Calderone). All as expected.

Once I switched to Messina and found those kids' (and the siblings who stayed behind) birth and marriage certificates, then he was Cristoforo.

Plus the ages of both Pasquoforo and Rosaria kept changing for each child's birth, their kids' marriages, their own deaths, etc. On her death certificate, she has parents (Cosimo Calderone and Anna Bonaventura). A couple years ago I looked for their marriage record but couldn't find it, so yesterday I looked again. In the index for 1845, they didn't list the records by surname but by given name. He wasn't under P, but I found them under C. Interestingly, on their marriage record, Rosaria has unknown parents. I'm not sure how she acquired parents between her marriage and death...

Prior to finding Pasquoforo and Rosaria's marriage record, I thought he might have been born circa 1807, given the age listed on his death certificate, but I figured the age on the marriage record was likely to be more accurate, and the math indicated 1819, so I tried it. And there he is, under Cristoforo. And also Pasquale.

It's all odd. I guess it's like the couple of friends I have who go by their middle names rather than their given names. Confusing.

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”