1785 Sicilian church record, trying to read parents names

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Saladin

1785 Sicilian church record, trying to read parents names

Postby Saladin » 01 Apr 2016, 07:08

Another translation request, I tried but this is beyond me. I know the quality not great but hopefully someone might recognize these names. The act starts on previous page (not shown) but I'm pretty sure all the parties are shown here. Thank you!

Groom:Domenico Armato, son of Joseph and [Domenica _________]?

Bride: Grazia Maggio daughter of ???
(I'm not sure is that Grazium? I'm taking this as Grazia)

Witnesses: [ ________ _________] & Ricardo Armato?
Attachments
image.jpg

erudita74
Master
Master

Re: 1785 Sicilian church record, trying to read parents names

Postby erudita74 » 06 Apr 2016, 14:36

I've enlarged the document but that hasn't helped to read the names. Can't make out the groom's mother's surname at all. The bride was Grazia Maggio. Her father's first name could be an abbreviation for Vincenzo. He was deceased. Her mother was alive. Possibly her first name was Calogera. I see the beg of that first name. As to her last name-possibly Prestia, but I'm not sure if what follows on the next line is part of her surname or some other word. If it's part of her surname, then Prestia would not be correct. As to the first witness, I believe his first name is Ignazio. I also don't see the name Ricardo as the first name of the witness Armato. I see "be" at the end of the first name. The only name that comes to mind with that ending is Giacobe (Giacomo in Italian), but I don't see the same letter at the beginning, as I see in Grazia's first name. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Erudita

Saladin

Postby Saladin » 06 Apr 2016, 15:25

Erudita,
Thanks for giving it a try, every suggestion helps. I agree the surname of grooms mother is a mess. I can now see the possibility of Cologera for the mother of bride and now I definitely see Ignazio for the first witness. As for the second witness could that be 'Micaele'? (I don't even know if that is a possible spelling) You suggested 'be' at the end of first name and I just took another look and see the first letter is 'M' not 'R'.

I tried to locate (and will search again) for a baptism or burial, record that might have have parents names clearly written but there are many missing and damaged registers and the ones I found for sure don't correspond. Maybe if either witness is a sibling I might find the names.

Thanks a lot for taking your time to help me brainstorm a way through this roadblock to my past.
John

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 06 Apr 2016, 16:43

I'm sorry, John, but I really don't see the letter M at the beginning of the second witness's first name. Also, the first name Ignazio would normally have the letter t and not the letter z in Latin, unless it has a z in Sicilian dialect and the priest was using a combination of dialect and Latin. So I may not be correct with the first name Ignazio. I don't know dialect, although I do have Sicilian ancestry, even from Agrigento Province (the towns of Menfi and Santa Margherita di Belice).

I really hope you can find another document which has these same people which would be easier to decipher. At least, you've have access to church documents from your ancestral town. I haven't found any for my two ancestral Agrigento towns.

Erudita

Saladin

Postby Saladin » 06 Apr 2016, 22:41

No problem Erudita.

Yes, I got lucky finding what remains of these records because like Santa Margherita di Belice I was starting to believe they did not survive the 1968 earthquake. Hopefully yours will surface one day.

Best regards!

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”