date on a death record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
warriorrabbit
Veteran
Veteran

date on a death record

Postby warriorrabbit » 03 Apr 2016, 18:39

Do I have this right? The event occurred midnight on April 3 but was reported the evening of April 4?
Attachments
forum_question_B.jpg
forum_question_A.jpg

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: date on a death record

Postby liviomoreno » 03 Apr 2016, 19:26

Correct

warriorrabbit
Veteran
Veteran

Re: date on a death record

Postby warriorrabbit » 03 Apr 2016, 23:23

Thank you. I'm actually doing some indexing for the Mormons (Naples project), and I hadn't run into this before (and there are a lot of instances). It's not always as obvious as midnight but it's usually, you know, 'reported at 13' but it 'happened at 18,' and there aren't the usual phrases for 'the previous day' as I've seen throughout Sicily. I knew the clerk was unable to tell the future, so it had to be the past even if they weren't explicit about it, but... well, I just wanted to confirm my assumptions.

On a side note, if anyone wants to help the Mormons index Torino, the records are in French. They follow the same basic structure as the Italian records in Sicily, etc., of course. Although indexing Torino would help me, I don't do French so checked the project back in. Torino has very few records online. Now I wonder if that might be why.

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”