Help reading ship manifest

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jbattagliasmith

Help reading ship manifest

Postby jbattagliasmith » 09 Apr 2016, 23:47

I had heard my great grandfather, Pasquale Battaglia, had come to the states from Sicily at some point, but returned. I am not sure if he came for work or had planned to stay. One relative believes he had come over before 1894 (when he married and had a son). This record is from 1900. My great grandfather would have been 36 at the time and married. Since I have been scouring the online records, I have not run across another Pasquale Battaglia from Tusa and definitely not one born in 1864. (other than in 1862 an infant brother of his that died before he was born with the same name.)

I am not sure if I should assume this is my grand-father even though it seems to be the right age. He would have had several children at this point in Tusa. Maybe he was going to see if he wanted to bring his family over or get some work.

Anyway, I see a Pasquale Battaglia and two other married gentlemen from Tusa on this record.

Pasquale Battaglia / Married / Male / Laborer / able to read and write / Italian / from Tusa / to New York / Heading to Westerly RI / ticket ? / paid himself / has $30 / not been to the states before - then I can't really make out the part about who he is meeting

I think the other two gentelmen I can make out also, but I was trying to see if they were meeting the same people or different.

Any insight and help interpreting would be great.

Thank you!

(and sorry for the double attachment - couldn't figure out how to get rid of the second one)
Attachments
possible ship Pasquale Battaglia NYT715_117-0210.jpg
possible ship Pasquale Battaglia NYT715_117-0210.jpg

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Help reading ship manifest

Postby Tessa78 » 10 Apr 2016, 01:16

Here is what I see for where they were going...

Pasquale was joining "cousin Pasquale Moro" in Westerley
Arcangelo was joining "brother-in-law Pietro Tarello" in Brooklyn
Giuseppe was joining "relative Giuseppe Dolce" in New York

T.

jbattagliasmith

Postby jbattagliasmith » 10 Apr 2016, 03:19

So that line is a number maybe 53 and a street! Thank you. It is funny when you can't read something and then someone tells you what it is - it is as if it is so clear suddenly! Thank you!

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 10 Apr 2016, 03:24

Yes, the # is 53, but I have been puzzling over the street name.
I looked up a list of streets in Westerley, Rhode Island, but could not find one I thought fit the letter pattern.

I also located another manifest in 1903 for Pasquale Battaglia, and the age matches (39)
However, his name is crossed out on the manifest line and no information has been entered. It appears he did not sail. The three passengers (men) above him are all from Tusa and headed to New London, CT.
Here is the info...
Name: Pasquale Battaglia
Arrival Date: 7 May 1903
Birth Date: abt 1864
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Italian
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Roma

T.

jbattagliasmith

Postby jbattagliasmith » 10 Apr 2016, 03:56

had found that too. I assumed it wasn't him, but maybe he had returned to Sicily between 1900 and 1903 and was going to head back. Seems close together back then. Like I said I didn't run across any other Pasquale Battaglia's and I have searched through a good chunk of the records from Tusa on the Antenati site. New London is where my grandfather (Paquale's son) went to from Tusa in 1913 along with 13 others from Tusa. There does seem to be a connection.

I have been trying to find a street listing from Westerly myself to look. I couldn't find one. I used to have a map book of RI but I guess I must have gotten rid of it. I also have tried to find Pasquale Moro in Westerly, RI but haven't yet.

Thank you for your help.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 10 Apr 2016, 03:59

Try this Street Index (scroll down)
http://uploads.gocdn.us/62/1252/Westerly2015Reduced.pdf

T.

jbattagliasmith

Postby jbattagliasmith » 10 Apr 2016, 04:00

Thanks you are awesome!

jbattagliasmith

Postby jbattagliasmith » 10 Apr 2016, 04:05

I don't see one either. Maybe they renamed a road or eliminated one due to construction of some sort. Maybe I can contact someone in the town hall. If I email the image, it may mean something to someone there.
Again I appreciate your help.

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”