Death Record: Spirito Cantoia or Castaldi?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Death Record: Spirito Cantoia or Castaldi?

Postby kencwalker » 19 Jun 2016, 18:38

Buongiorno fellow IG sleuths,
I have an interesting death record to interpret.
The handwriting is clear and the translation is straight forward. It's the facts that are confusing, and inconsistent with the birth record. One thing I've learned, inconsistencies need to be closely examined, and not brushed off as "oh, they made a mistake". :)

First the deceased's name in the margin is Spirito Cantoia, and yet entered as Spirito Castaldi in the text ("morto Castaldi Spirito di anni dieci"). The second inconsistency is his age, 10 years old. Note that the father is "Carlo".

I have a Feb-1876 birth record for Spirito Cantoia that matches most of the facts: parents, father's age and home address. If it's the same Spirito, that would make him 5 years old in 1881.

Declarers in this record match family names for Spirito Cantoia: Carlo Cantoia (age 47), his father, and Giovanni Battista Castaldi (age 66), his maternal grandfather.

Looking for your insights. Grazie,
-Ken
Attachments
D_1881-09-22_Cantoia_Spirito.png
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Death Record: Spirito Cantoia or Castaldi?

Postby liviomoreno » 19 Jun 2016, 19:01

Theoretically (according to the law) the correct name is the one in the text, not the one in the margin.

kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Postby kencwalker » 20 Jun 2016, 14:48

liviomoreno wrote:(according to the law) the correct name is the one in the text.
Grazie, Livio,
You're not helping my cause. :)

Seriously.... the obvious solution is to search the Cavalgio records for a matching Spirito Castaldi birth entry around 1871. Unfortunately, they can only be viewed at the family history center. I grabbed this image, then left for the day. I don't expect to find a Spirito Castaldi. If I do, it makes for a very interesting family story (given that Carlo Cantoia and Annucniata Castaldi married before 1865).
-Ken
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.

krash142
Veteran
Veteran

Postby krash142 » 22 Jun 2016, 02:20

When I read this, I cannot help but see that the name is Cantoia.

kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Postby kencwalker » 23 Jun 2016, 04:26

krash142 wrote:When I read this, I cannot help but see that the name is Cantoia.

thanks krash142. Yes, the name in the margin is clearly Spirito Cantoia.
However, the name in the body looks to be "è morto Castaldi Spirito".

Personally, I don't think Carlo Zoia is the most accurate Uffiziale dello Stato Civile in Lombardy.
He flubbed another Cantoia as Cattaneo. :-)

-Ken

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 23 Jun 2016, 14:35

Ken
Despite what Livio said, I do believe the child's correct name is Spirito Cantoia, and that the father is one of the declarants.
Erudita

kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Postby kencwalker » 24 Jun 2016, 16:26

Thanks to all for your input. I made a trip to the local Family History Center and reviewed birth entries from 1871-1876 for potential Spirito Castaldi's. None exist. In fact, I could find no other Spiritos (by any last name) born in that time frame. (I did find a death entry in 1874 for a Spirito Castaldi, age 23.) So, I'm 99.44% sure this record is for Spirito Cantoia.

I also looked up the 1903 marriage record for Pietro Cantoia/Cattaneo, and discovered Pietro Cattaneo married Maria Mandelli. Second mystery solved.

I'm chalking both of these up as a data entry errors by Signore Zoia, Uffiziale dello Stato Civile. Ugh.
-Ken

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”