Military Documents

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
DCPandaFan

Military Documents

Postby DCPandaFan » 23 Jun 2016, 04:55

Does anyone know where one may obtain a translation of these Italian military documents from the early 20th century: (1) Foglio di Congedo Illimitato; and (2) Libretto Personale ?
The latter document is 64 pages long, and I'd rather not translate it myself if a translation (preferably an official translation) is available at reasonable cost.
Thank you!
When will Italy get Pandas?

erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Military Documents

Postby erudita74 » 23 Jun 2016, 13:20

You can get help with the Foglio di Congedo Illimitato by referring to Trafford Cole's book Italian Genealogical Reocrds (p. 147).

As to the Libretto Personale-this was a booklet that a soldier had to carry with him at all times. The purpose of it was to help identify his remains, if he died. It contained info and rules that carried severe punishment, if they weren't followed. For example, if someone outranks you, you do as they say. On the very last page, there was a small metal tag stitched into the booklet, with vital info such as his name, birth date, etc. If he was maimed beyond recognition, or his body was not found until nothing but bones were left, the little indestructible tag would still be there, and he would be identifiable.

Erudita

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 23 Jun 2016, 17:35

other info which should appear in the Libretto Personale would be names of the parents, place of birth, place of enlistment or draft, religion, profession, also should be a page with health related info such as vaccinations.

Erudita

DCPandaFan

Postby DCPandaFan » 29 Jun 2016, 00:56

Thank you for responding, erudita74! I am aware of the Cole book; I have been waiting for an updated version! The 2 documents I mentioned above corroborate genealogical facts found elsewhere, and so are being used mostly to add "color" and "depth" to the family history, some insights into life in the Royal Italian Army at the time. The rules for soldiers during their service and after discharge do just that.
Most of the family members do not understand Italian, so if a translation were available, I would have included it with the documents so reading through the documents would be just as much fun for the non-Italian speakers. I will just translate a few select portions - these are quite substantial documents that include a lot of print.
The Libretto Personale is quite a hefty document to be carried around by a soldier in combat! Imagine 16 sheets of 8" x 10" paper, folded in half to form a 64-page book, and then a heavier sheet for a cover! The one here is missing its back cover and that little tag you mentioned. Thank you once again. -- DCP

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 29 Jun 2016, 13:56

I see very little info about the Libretto Personale online. I even searched in Italian on Italian websites. I did see online some photos of the covers, and some of the pages, and it looked like a book that one could carry around with him. The copy of Cole's book I own does NOT have a translation of this type of military record. I had honestly never even heard of it until you posted and was trying to learn more about it myself. Good luck with translating whatever you can. I'm sure any info you can extract from it, and translate into English, will prove invaluable to your family.
Erudita

DCPandaFan

Postby DCPandaFan » 06 Jul 2016, 14:15

My guess is that not many soldiers kept their Libretto Personale after their recall terms ended, and practically none brought it with them when emigrating, simply because of the size of the thing. So now, 100 years later, not many are around and interest in them is low.

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 06 Jul 2016, 14:37

You're probably correct. I doubt it was something one worried about, if emigrating to another country. I see a few of them on ebay.
Erudita

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”