Death Extract: Antonio Sansevrino

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Death Extract: Antonio Sansevrino

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 23 Jun 2016, 06:50

Can someone please verify the following and add anything important I've missed:

(Found in the book of the dead S. Maria in Cielo Assunta (Sarconi), Diocese of Marsiconovo.)
I'm understanding that Antonio Sansevrino, occupation????, circa 50yo, drowned (annegato) on 31 July 1796 in the tenimento of Lauria.

(I'm understanding that "tenimento of Lauria" would be "property owned by someone by the surname "Lauria". Correct?)

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Angela

erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Death Extract: Antonio Sansevrino

Postby erudita74 » 23 Jun 2016, 12:52

occupation looks like cauzetta - not sure what to make of this occupation-it relates to calza-which are stockings or hosiery, or cheesecloth, but then I read that it is work in iron which at one time was done by a massaia, which is a farmer's wife, or a housewife or homemaker. The death record though is definitely for a male.

I seem to recall the word terimento used in feudal times for property owned by a nobleman or some other landlord, so I believe you are correct in that the name of the feudal hold was Lauria. I don't think it's referring to the modern town of Lauria.

Witnesses were Maestro Giovanni Petrocelli and Antonio Mazzei of this town (Sarconi)

Erudita

mmogno
Elite
Elite

Postby mmogno » 23 Jun 2016, 15:04

"
Per uso di matrimonio
Si certifica da me sottoscritto arcip(re)te Curato di questa Chiesa
di Sarconi sotto il titolo di S. Maria in Cielo Assunta, diocesi
di Marsiconuovo, di aver trovato nel libro de' morti la seguen-
te particola = Sarconi trentuno Luglio millesettecento
novantasei = Antonio Sansevrino Canzetta di anni cinquanta cir-
ca morto annegato nel tenimento di Lauria, come confes-
sano li testimoni presenti Mastro Giovanni Petrocelli, ed
Ant(oni)o Mazzei di q(est)o Comune = D(o)n Marzio arcip(ret)e di S. Maria
Sarconi 24 Giugno 1858
L'arcip(ret)e Curato
Gius(eppe) D(on) Pepe
Visto
Il Sindaco
???? Mazzei
"
https://www.google.it/search?q=%22tenimento+di+Lauria%22

https://scn.wiktionary.org/wiki/canzetta

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 23 Jun 2016, 15:07

the mayor's first name is Domenico

Erudita

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 24 Jun 2016, 03:58

Wow! Thank you both so much for checking this over for me and for going the extra mile.

Erudita, I also was reading “cauzetta” in the record and I suspected it had something to do with socks because that is similar to how we would say socks in the dialect I grew up with. (It brings back memories of my mum skillfully mending my brothers' “cauzetta e cassuun” as she called them.

Mmogno, thank you so much for kindly typing up the whole record and for also providing the links. I really appreciate this. I have a lot of Church records from allegati that I saved a while ago and I am currently going through and making sure that I extracted the vital info correctly. Often I don't understand the churchy details with their abbreviations and jargon so reading your typed version here helps.

Re: tenimento di Lauria
I'm completely lost now. I had seen these references before but I didn't think they related – or do they? Help!

Thank you both, again.

Angela:-0

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 24 Jun 2016, 13:39

Hi Angela
I thought the word cauzetta might be dialect, but wasn't sure. As to tenimento di Lauria, I still believe that Lauria was the name of the family that owned property that was a feudal hold, as feudalism was not abolished there until 1806. So the Lauria family would have been feudal lords, so to speak. I'm not that good with historical info, so I don't know if I'm explaining this very well.
Erudita

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 24 Jun 2016, 23:47

Thank you, Erudita. I understand what you are saying and I tend to agree. I need to look closer at feudalism myself. One of my family names is actually Lauria but from a neighbouring town. I've not found how and if the Lauria family in Sarconi are related yet, only that one of this Antonio's gr8gr8gr8gr8 grand-daughters married a Lauria (but from a neighbouring town) - but no direct blood line there.

Interesting, not sure whether you have this anywhere in your history, I have recently discovered, while searching Sarconi records, that one set (or union) of gr8gr8gr8 grandparents on my dad's side, appear on my mother's side, only on mum's side they are one set of gr8gr8gr8gr8 grandparents. (Ofcourse this cuts some of the work out for me substantially but gives me less ancestors.) Thinking about it, it probably occurred quite a lot, and I thought it was quite cool to go back one more generation and find I already knew the couple from previous research on dad's line.

Well, I've certainly got off the topic of feudalism...... Be in touch.

Angela

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 25 Jun 2016, 00:09

Believe it or not, Angela, one of my direct line ancestral names is also Lauria. I have them only in Stigliano in Matera Province, but I can't say for sure that that is where this line originated. The earliest ancestor is estimated to have been born between 1720 and 1730. Unfortunately, no church records for this town, as the Mother Church which housed the church records was destroyed in the earthquake, and all the church records were lost. So I only had the civil records from the town and some church records that were mixed in with them in the Processetti, and some notations of deaths of ancestors which appeared in the body of marriage records in the earlier part of the 1800s. So, maybe we are distant cousins???

Erudita

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 25 Jun 2016, 00:35

Very interesting...... Now wouldn't that be something, to be distant cousins. Have you had your DNA tested?

Angela

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 25 Jun 2016, 00:38

Angela
I'm sending you a PM.
Erudita

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 25 Jun 2016, 00:55

Well like minds think alike, I was planning to do the same:-)
Angela

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”