Need Your Help Deciphering Latin Marriage Record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
sacesta
Elite
Elite
Location: North Carolina via Brooklyn and many places in between

Need Your Help Deciphering Latin Marriage Record

Postby sacesta » 25 Jun 2016, 05:57

I found what I believe to be the marriage record of my 4th great grandparents, Francesco Gruppuso and Antonina Pampalone, but I'm having difficulty reading this one. Can someone decipher this for me? In particular, I'm looking for the date of the event (it looks to me like it could be the 20th of November, 1793, but it might also be the 24th or the 29th). I'd also like to know the dates of the banns and the names of the parents and whether they were living or deceased at the time of the union. (It looks to me like the groom's father's name is Joseph and that both of the fathers are deceased. I'm less sure about both mothers.)
Thanks yet again for all of the help you've been!
Steve

Steve Acesta

Researching Calatafimi, Trapani
Surnames Aceste, Papa, Cusenza, Gruppuso, Sciortino, Sparacino, Zito, and Vona.

Researching Montevago, Agrigento (Girgenti)
Surnames Infranco, La Rocca, Mandina, Bilello, Cacioppo, and Cardino.

erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Need Your Help Deciphering Latin Marriage Record

Postby erudita74 » 25 Jun 2016, 11:55

This is a very difficult record, Steve.

I can tell you that the groom's mother was Antonia Monticciolo and that she was deceased. Following her last name, and before the Latin word for spouses, is the word olim. This means that the parents were a married couple, or spouses, when alive. I don't see an abbreviation for the word "deceased" before the father's name Giuseppe. I only see the abbreviation before the mother's name. There is something else before the first name Giuseppe, but I don't know what it is. It follows the abbreviation for the Latin word meaning "son of." The word olim does not appear after the word for spouses following the brides parents' names.

The bride's mother was Rosalia Vivona. Both of the bride's parents were alive. I'm wondering if the father's name is Domenico Paolo and that somehow what I see DoPau is an abbreviation for that. Normally the abbreviation for Domenico has the "co" up in the air. The abbreviation before the father's name looks like the plural for the Latin word magistro/magistri or maestro/maestri in Italian (so it would be maestri in Italian)-referring to both of her parents.

Witnesses: Maestro Giorgio Libassi and Maestro Francesco Nicolosi.

Erudita

sacesta
Elite
Elite

Postby sacesta » 25 Jun 2016, 14:28

Erudita,

Thanks always! I would not have gotten as far as I have today without your help. It's always much appreciated.

The reason I was thinking that both fathers were deceased is because I see what looks to me like the word "fu" immediately after both the groom's and the bride's names. (before their father's names).

Steve
Steve Acesta

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 25 Jun 2016, 14:56

Steve
What you think is the word "fu" is the abbreviation for the Latin words for son and daughter.
Erudita

sacesta
Elite
Elite

Postby sacesta » 25 Jun 2016, 15:18

Ok. Thanks for that.
Steve Acesta

frankcsr
Rookie
Rookie

Postby frankcsr » 25 Jun 2016, 15:32

I noticed that you are researching "Sparacino". Does any of your research go to Ali in Sicily? My g-grandmothers maiden name was Sparacino. Other names from Ali are Miceli, D'Angelo, Rao.
Contact me if any are familiar.
Frank C

sacesta
Elite
Elite

Postby sacesta » 25 Jun 2016, 16:03

My research has not led to Ali, at least not yet.

In fact, everyone so far on my grandfather's paternal line has been baptized and married in the Chiesa Cattolica di San Silvestri Papa in Calatafimi, Trapani.

Antonina Sparacino is my great, great grandfather's (Benedetto Aceste's) mother (my 3rd great grandmother). She was married on February 14th, 1819 to Ignatzio Cusenza in the Chiesa Cattolica di San Silvestri Papa in Calatafimi.

I haven't found Antonina's record of baptism yet but I believe she was born approximately 1796. Her parents are Vito Sparacino and Giovanna Amoroso. I'm hoping to find Antonina's baptismal record later this week along with the records of baptism and marriage for her parents.

A while ago, I came across the name Miceli in my search in the Calatafimi records, but it turned out to be a false lead for my lineage. I don't recall the persons given name and I'm not sure I kept the record. If I find it, I will let you know.

You may want to search the Calatafimi records for the names Sparacino and Miceli.

Steve
Steve Acesta

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”