birth records translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Athena
Veteran
Veteran

birth records translation

Postby Athena » 30 Jun 2016, 03:57

Please need help! I could make out Vincenzo Failla, think parents names are Pietro Failla and Domencia Prestianni.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1947613

erudita74
Master
Master

Re: birth records translation

Postby erudita74 » 30 Jun 2016, 15:04

Record is dated Jan 21, 1878 at 9:15 a.m. in the town hall of Castelbuono. Vincenzo Failla was born to Domenica Pestianni, a housewife, and wife of Pietro Failla, at 5:30 P.M. on the 20th. Pietro Failla was a vetturale, or a person who used a wagon or cart (normally pulled by horses, donkeys, or mules), to transport goods from one place to another. The infant was given the name Vincenzo (Failla). In the margin, there is his marriage info. He married on Jan 27, 1912-in what looks like in Livorno ? (which is on the mainland of Italy and quite a distance away) a woman by the name of Natalina Torulli (sp?). It is record #34 in the register of Livorno.

The problem that I have with her surname is that Torulli is not a surname in Livorno. I see the surname Torelli there, so I don't know if there is an error in the side notation. OR possibly the first letter of the surname is a B and the surname is Borulli, which would be a variant of the surname Borullo, which is found in the Naples area. Since I can't get access to the marriage record, I can't tell you her surname for sure.

Erudita

Athena
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Athena » 20 Jul 2016, 16:05

Erudita.

I just saw this post, guess I was posting so much that I over looked this one.
So fo Vincenzo Failla, when you say you can't get access to the marriage record, what does that mean? Are they not online?

Tracy

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 20 Jul 2016, 22:16

Tracy
There are no online records for Livorno post 1865, where the side note seems to indicate that he married. You will have to email the town of Livorno to inquire about Vincenzo Failla's marriage record. Info is below.

e-mail gsimonetti@comune.livorno.it

Responsabile SIMONETTI GIUSEPPE

There are also no online marriage records post 1910 for the town of Castelbuono, so we can't even search for his marriage publications, which would have been recorded there as well, assuming that he was still a resident there at the time of his 1912 marriage.

Erudita

Athena
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Athena » 21 Jul 2016, 00:38

Hi Erudita.

Why is there no records for those yrs, do u know?
I've been trying to learn this site and looking at the message boards, seems as though no one is looking for the family names I'm looking for. This is like a nettle in a haystack.

Thank you so much for helping me out. I truly appreciate it!

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 21 Jul 2016, 01:23

Tracy
As far as I know, post 1865 records for Livorno have simply not been microfilmed. That doesn't mean the records don't exist. It just means that you will have to contact the town to see if an official or clerk there will provide you with more specific info concerning Vincenzo's marriage.

The records for many of the other towns, such as Castelbuono, have only been microfilmed up to 1910. The town will have information in its registers for events that took place after 1910, but you will have to contact the town to get it. Also there is a 75 year rule concerning accessibility of the records to the public which means that the records cannot be viewed by the public until they are more than 75 years old. Of course, that doesn't apply to a marriage which took place in 1912, but since those records have not been microfilmed, you will not see them online, and they are not available for rental at a local family history center.

The Failla surname is a common one in Sicily. I have some Failla in my own ancestry, but from Siracusa Province, and not Palermo Province. None of my info connects to yours. Sorry.

Erudita

Athena
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Athena » 21 Jul 2016, 15:15

Hi.

Too bad we don't have the same Failla's.
Would you have to know what part of Italy the last name Piscitello comes from? Never saw it in Castelbuono.

Athena
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Athena » 21 Jul 2016, 15:16

Hi again.

Did any of your Failla's come to NY?

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 25 Jul 2016, 23:03

This will show you where the surname is distributed throughout Italy and Sicily:
https://www.google.com/#q=il+cognome+piscitello

As to the origin of the surname, it is a fish name found scattered most abundantly in those coastal areas that are largely devoted to fishery-Sicily, Taranto, Naples, Ancona, Venice, Istria, Genoa, and the Italian lake region. In some instances, the surname has a figurative meaning. For example, the generic term fish, Pescio, Pescetti, Piscicello, Piscitello, usually denotes a good swimmer (p. 144 of Our Italian Surnames by Prof Joseph G. Fucilla.

The Faillas in my ancestry are in the 1700s and first half of the 1800s pretty much-in the town of Sortino in Siracusa Province Sicily. I have a few others in my database but I haven't traced whether they or their descendants went to NY.

Erudita

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”