Nati - Apollonia Maria Raffaela Dema

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
abbywhite650
Rookie
Rookie

Nati - Apollonia Maria Raffaela Dema

Postby abbywhite650 » 04 Jul 2016, 16:42

Hi,

Is someone available and willing to extract the important data for me from this birth announcement? Dates, names, relationships, occupations, etc.

What I know before finding this document.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Child: Apollonia Maria Raffaela Dema

Father: Pasquale Dema
Mother: Rufina di Cunto (really need first name verified)
Town: Viggiano
Year: 1820

Thanks so much,
Jackie

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Nati - Apollonia Maria Raffaela Dema

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 05 Jul 2016, 21:01

Birth No 54: Apollonia Maria Raffaela Dema
Viggiano: 3 March 1820, 9 pm
Fortunata Varalla, 43 yo, levatrice (midwife), living in this town, presented a female baby born to Signora D. Rufina di Cunto, 26yo, living said town, and to D. Pasquale Dema, 32yo, speziale (pharmacist), living said town, on 2 March 1820 at 7 pm. (If you look at the second page at the top it says that she was given the name “Maria Raffaela” so the given name “Apollonia” is not mentioned here. It is mentioned in the baptism details on the first page (right margin).

Apollonia Maria Raffaela Dema was baptised on 3 March 1820 at the church of S. Pietro and Paolo.

Jackie, here is a list of Italian Female Given Names which you may find helpful: https://script.byu.edu/Pages/Italian/en/givenF.aspx

Angela:-)

abbywhite650
Rookie
Rookie

Postby abbywhite650 » 05 Jul 2016, 23:50

Thanks Angela,

You are way ahead of me...I don't know what you mean by the first and second page. I can only tell which page the name is on in one location. Are these documents more than 1 image?

Jackie

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 06 Jul 2016, 00:36

abbywhite650 wrote:Thanks Angela,

You are way ahead of me...I don't know what you mean by the first and second page. I can only tell which page the name is on in one location. Are these documents more than 1 image?

Jackie

Hi there

Yes, these particular birth records are on two pages. It probably doesn't help that they have repeated the first page twice. Here is the link to the second page, page 2 of your Record No 54 is on the left: http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

You'll note that the next record, on the right is Record No 55. Hope this helps.

(Basically the second page of the record has the baby's name at the top and then the other names are the witnesses to the presentation and declaration.)

Cheers, Angela

abbywhite650
Rookie
Rookie

Postby abbywhite650 » 06 Jul 2016, 00:49

Thanks Angela,

This is still all new to me and not being able to read the documents isn't helping.

Thanks so much for your patience.

Jackie

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 06 Jul 2016, 01:05

abbywhite650 wrote:Thanks Angela,

This is still all new to me and not being able to read the documents isn't helping.

Thanks so much for your patience.

Jackie

I think that you are doing really well. One thing that I have observed about your Viggiano records is that, initially, it looks like the indices are not included with some of the year groups. Usually the indices for each year group appears at either the beginning of the year, or at the end of the year. With your records, they seem to appear haphazardly, but not really.

Have a look at this page for example: http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ?g2_page=3

Basically with this year, they have closed the register during November, then added the indices, and then continued on with the records. This happens when there are a lot of births record in one year. They fill the book and then have to start a new one.

Just thought I'd mention this in case you hadn't noticed.

Angela

abbywhite650
Rookie
Rookie

Postby abbywhite650 » 06 Jul 2016, 01:15

Thanks Angela,

I have actually been looking at every image. I have a general idea where the name is that I'm looking for and have learned how to read the month. Other than that, I'm going thru every record. When I find an index, I use that to double check to make sure I didn't miss anything.

I only look thru the indexes when I'm on the family search web site.

I'll have to start looking for indexes on these web sites now that you pointed it out. I didn't think there were any. I assumed that the indexes on the family search site were created by the person copying the books.

Jackie

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 06 Jul 2016, 06:42

Jackie: The 1832 records that I posted here probably arn't the best example. I've noticed that after the indices, they seem to have repeated the records, and not continued on from the last November record.

If you look here: http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ?g2_page=5

you will see that after image 99 it says Suppl.2 and that is where the subsequent records are. You will also notice that the indices are included here. So also watch out for "Suppl.2" because often the indices are included there. It's a tricky one, because all the different towns set things out differently, and also often when Family Search filmed the records, they possibly found things out of order, and so filmed them how they found them. You'll become a master of your own records in your town and observe how things have been set out. Take notes and save links, especially to indices, along the way, because as you discover more of your family history, you will have to revisit the same records.

Angela

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”