Need Some Pointers with Latin Baptismal Records

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jestes
Rookie
Rookie

Need Some Pointers with Latin Baptismal Records

Postby jestes » 10 Jul 2016, 05:33

I have a few questions on Latin records I am starting to encounter. On the attached baptism record:

1) What is the (what looks like) "Ind.s VIII" after the date of 4 November 1804?

2) Does this mean that the infant was baptized "tonight at around 9:00" or that the priest baptized the infant that was born "tonight at around 9:00"? Some say "heri" for yesterday, so was the baby born yesterday or baptized yesterday.

3) On this particular record, is the word "carissimo" used to indicate the couple were married? On most of the others it is "jug-" something.

4) Am I correct in assuming the writer of the original coincidentally has the same name as the baby ("Cyrus" or "Ciro" in Italian)? That threw me off at first.

5) What is the word that looks like "filius" in the godparents section?

Thanks in advance - I know this is a lot of questions for one record, but it will give me a good starting point to understanding these...

John
Attachments
1804-11-4-Ciro.jpg
1804-11-4-Ciro.jpg

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Need Some Pointers with Latin Baptismal Records

Postby liviomoreno » 10 Jul 2016, 07:59

jestes wrote:I have a few questions on Latin records I am starting to encounter. On the attached baptism record:

1) What is the (what looks like) "Ind.s VIII" after the date of 4 November 1804? Don't know

2) Does this mean that the infant was baptized "tonight at around 9:00" or that the priest baptized the infant that was born "tonight at around 9:00"? Some say "heri" for yesterday, so was the baby born yesterday or baptized yesterday. THe baby was born on Nov 3 at 9:00pm

3) On this particular record, is the word "carissimo" used to indicate the couple were married? On most of the others it is "jug-" something. Parents of Ciro were Giuseppe Paternostro and Laura "Di Loto Carissimo"

4) Am I correct in assuming the writer of the original coincidentally has the same name as the baby ("Cyrus" or "Ciro" in Italian)? CorrectThat threw me off at first.

5) What is the word that looks like "filius" in the godparents section? Godparents were Gioacchino Di Loto Carissimo, son (filius) of Andrea, and Francesca Mancione

Thanks in advance - I know this is a lot of questions for one record, but it will give me a good starting point to understanding these...

John

Marcello_DAleo
Master
Master

Postby Marcello_DAleo » 10 Jul 2016, 13:17

jestes wrote:I have a few questions on Latin records I am starting to encounter. On the attached baptism record:

1) What is the (what looks like) "Ind.s VIII" after the date of 4 November 1804?

8th Indiction. For the meaning, read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiction

2) Does this mean that the infant was baptized "tonight at around 9:00" or that the priest baptized the infant that was born "tonight at around 9:00"? Some say "heri" for yesterday, so was the baby born yesterday or baptized yesterday.

The child was born at 9 pm of 3 November

3) On this particular record, is the word "carissimo" used to indicate the couple were married? On most of the others it is "jug-" something.

No. Carissimo is a second last name.

4) Am I correct in assuming the writer of the original coincidentally has the same name as the baby ("Cyrus" or "Ciro" in Italian)? That threw me off at first.

Yes, you are correct

5) What is the word that looks like "filius" in the godparents section?

Godparents: Gioacchino Di Leto Carissimo, son (filius) of Andrea;
Francesca Mancione

John
Visit my web site!
Southern Italy Genealogical Center
http://www.sicilygenealogy.com/

jestes
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jestes » 10 Jul 2016, 20:00

Thanks, this helps a lot! I'm glad I asked before I started typing information into my program.

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”