Maria Girolima GIANNOTTA - Birth Record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
OrangeBlossom44
Veteran
Veteran

Maria Girolima GIANNOTTA - Birth Record

Postby OrangeBlossom44 » 15 Jul 2016, 17:54

I hope that someone here would be kind enough to verify what I see in this birth record AND TRANSLATE THE MARGIN NOTES, which I do not understand.

Maria Girolima GIANNOTTA is a sister of my 1st great grandmother, Mariantonia (Maria Antonia) GIANOTTA, who married my 1st great grandfather, Pasquale BIONDI.

Here is what I see on this record:

NAME: Maria Girolima GIANNOTTA
DOB: 22 August 1862
PLACE: Faicchio, BN
FATHER: Carlo GIANNOTTA, 36, son of the deceased Giuseppe GIANNOTTA, of Faicchio
MOTHER: Filomena FIORENTINO, 25, of Faicchio

I note that my earlier ancestors are "colono" not "contadino." I believe this means that my earlier ancestors did not own the land they farmed, while my later ancestors did. Does this mean that my earlier ancestors were poorer? Who owned the land they worked? How could I learn more about this?

Thank you again for your help. I am so excited to find new members of my family, but sad that my beloved parents are not here to share this information with.

Clara "Claire"

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0
Researching Frinco

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Maria Girolima GIANNOTTA - Birth Record

Postby Tessa78 » 15 Jul 2016, 18:59

The notation below the baptism entry states that on 20 September 1888 (Act #15) in Faicchio, Maria Girolama (that is the spelling here) Giannotta married with Francesco Saverio Onofrio.

The rest of your translation appears correct to me :-)

While both "colono" and "contadino" were farmers... it was the former who were tenant farmers who usually lived on the land they farmed, and the latter who were peasants (farm laborers) traveling to and working the land. I do not believe either owned the land they farmed.

T.

OrangeBlossom44
Veteran
Veteran

Postby OrangeBlossom44 » 15 Jul 2016, 19:53

Thank you so much, Tessa!

If you have a chance, would you also look at this birth record? It is for my paternal grandmother, Maria LAVORGNA. She married my paternal grandfather, Giuseppe BIONDI.

Many of the records that I have for Maria (both formal and personal) show her date of birth as 8 December 1887. However, I believe that beyond seeing that her birth year is really 1886, her birth record appears to also say that she was born on 1 December not 8 December. Does that look correct to you?

So, here is what I see:

NAME: Maria LAVORGNA
DATE OF BIRTH: 1 December 1886
FATHER: Antonio LAVORGNA, 40, Faicchio. To date, I have never seen any information about Antonio's father.
MOTHER: Carmina (?) SAN GIOVANNI, Faicchio. I have also seen her referenced as Carmelina and Carmella.
OCCUPATION: Contadina. Why would Antonio be a "colono," while his wife is a "contadina"? Also, I see no mention of Carmina's age.

QUESTION: Both in this record and in one for my paternal grandfather, Giuseppe BIONDI, it appears to mention that both were born in a home in CONTRADA MACCHIA. First, is that the proper name? Second, what is CONTRADA MACCHIA?

Thank you for any help/guidance you could provide. It is very much appreciated!

Clara "Claire"

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 0.jpg.html
Researching Frinco

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 15 Jul 2016, 20:14

OrangeBlossom44 wrote:Thank you so much, Tessa!

So, here is what I see:

NAME: Maria LAVORGNA
DATE OF BIRTH: 1 December 1886
FATHER: Antonio LAVORGNA, 40, Faicchio. To date, I have never seen any information about Antonio's father. (Try searching for the marriage of Antonio and Carmina...)
MOTHER: Carmina (?) YES SAN GIOVANNI, Faicchio. I have also seen her referenced as Carmelina and Carmella.
OCCUPATION: Contadina. Why would Antonio be a "colono," while his wife is a "contadina"? Also, I see no mention of Carmina's age. No age given and not unusual in some towns. She would have been a farm laborer.

QUESTION: Both in this record and in one for my paternal grandfather, Giuseppe BIONDI, it appears to mention that both were born in a home in CONTRADA MACCHIA. First, is that the proper name? Second, what is CONTRADA MACCHIA? Contrada = land ~So this would be a land area(or road outside of town) with the identifying name of Macchia

Thank you for any help/guidance you could provide. It is very much appreciated!

Clara "Claire"

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 0.jpg.html

T.

mmogno
Elite
Elite

Postby mmogno » 16 Jul 2016, 00:30

OrangeBlossom44 wrote:what is CONTRADA MACCHIA?

http://www.faicchiomedievalia.com/macchia/

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”