Pubblicazioni: Domenico or Carlo?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Pubblicazioni: Domenico or Carlo?

Postby kencwalker » 19 Jul 2016, 23:30

I'm back with another one of those crazy "who is it" records from Cavaglio.....accurate record keeping just wasn't their forte! :)
Take a look at the husband's name in the attached document.
It's written in the margin as "Contoia Domenico", and yet I see the name in the body (twice) as "Cantoia Carlo". (And coincidentally, our Uffiziale is also named Carlo Cantoia - not sure if/how he's related).

Is this one where the Atti di Matrimonio is the tie breaker? (which of course, I don't have -- LOL). This is an image I can't download from FamilySearch, so had to "Save Image As". (That's why it's a cropped image.) I didn't notice the discrepancy until now. Eventually I will get back to the FHC to see what the Atti says.
Thanks,
-Ken
Attachments
Cantoia_Pubblicazioni_1906-01-17_1.png
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.

mmogno
Elite
Elite

Re: Pubblicazioni: Domenico or Carlo?

Postby mmogno » 20 Jul 2016, 00:36

Groom has signed the Act?

kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Postby kencwalker » 20 Jul 2016, 21:24

mmogno wrote:Groom has signed the Act?

Good point...names missing from cropped image....definitely time for a return trip to check.
I need an LDS friend to help me do this away from the FHC. :)

This is an odd record for me. I don't work with the Pubblicazioni, and don't remember why I grabbed it. I use the Atti di Matrimonio for marriage info (groom, wife, their ages and parents names). What do I gain by reviewing the Pubblicazioni?

Thanks,
-Ken
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.

kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Postby kencwalker » 22 Jul 2016, 03:26

Nothing like a trip to the FHC and a read of the lower half of the Pubblicazioni and a review of the Atti di Matrimonio to clear things up.....
The Pubblicazioni was signed by Domenico Cantoia (NOT Carlo).
The matching marriage record is for Domenico Cantoia e Caterina Castaldi...mystery solved.
I can see how the Uffiziale was a bit confused. The groom's father is Carlo Cantoia, and the bride's father is Carlo Castaldi (and the Uffiziale is also a Carlo Cantoia --not sure if he's the groom's father).

These discrepancies always concern me a wee bit....like what other [undetected] errors are in the records?!?
Thanks!!
-Ken

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”