Petilia Policastro Marriage Processetti - Giuseppe Nicolozza & Francesca Cosco - 1835. 1st 3 attachments

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
molan
Veteran
Veteran

Petilia Policastro Marriage Processetti - Giuseppe Nicolozza & Francesca Cosco - 1835. 1st 3 attachments

Postby molan » 22 Jul 2016, 13:45

Hi, please help us read the Processetti for Petilia Policastro Marriage Processetti - Giuseppe Nicolozza & Francesca Cosco - 1835. The 1st 3 attachments are as follows:
1 - birth act of groom - Giuseppe Nicolozza
2 - death act of father of groom - Domenico Nicolazzi
3 - death act of mother of groom - Caterina Venturiero

Thank you
Gary
Attachments
Petilia Policastro Marriage Processetti - Giuseppe Nicolozza & Francesca Cosco - 1835 Image 331 page 2.jpg
Petilia Policastro Marriage Processetti - Giuseppe Nicolozza & Francesca Cosco - 1835 Image 331 page 3.jpg
Petilia Policastro Marriage Processetti - Giuseppe Nicolozza & Francesca Cosco - 1835 Image 331 page 4.jpg

erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Petilia Policastro Marriage Processetti - Giuseppe Nicolozza & Francesca Cosco - 1835. 1st 3 attachments

Postby erudita74 » 27 Jul 2016, 18:51

Top record
Extracted copy of the birth act of Giuseppe Maria Nicolazzo; record #117; dated Sept 4, 1815.
Received from the registers of the civil state.
Domenico Nicolazzo, occupation ?, age 36, appeared and reported that today, at 5, in his house, from his marriage to Caterina Venturieri, was born a baby whom he was presenting and to whom was being given the name Giuseppe Maria Nicolazzo. The presentation and declaration were made in the presence of Generoso Guarino, age 38, a barber, and Michele Carrelle, age 30, a carpenter. Both men were residents of the town. Baptism was on the 4th of Sept in the parish of Santo Pietro.
The record was read aloud to all who had intervened. The declarant and the witnesses did not know how to write, and so the document was signed only by the town officials. The copies conformed to the originals and were to be used for the marriage on April 22, 1835.

Middle Record
Extracted copy of the death act of Domenico Nicolazzo
Received from the registers of the civil state # 64 and is dated November 26, 1834 at 2 P.M.
Appearing was GioGiacomo Rizzutto, age 48, a scribente (scribe) living in the town and Michele Messina, age 50, also a scribente (scribe). They reported that at 1 in the night on the 25th, Domenico Nicolazzo, age 60, widower of Caterina Venturieri, a pitoccante (beggar), died. He was the son of deceased Angelo Nicolazzo, and deceased Caterina Favilla.
The record was signed by the town official and the witnesses. The extracted record copy conforms to the original and was for use for the marriage on April 22, 1835.

Bottom record
extracted copy of the death record of Caterina Venturieri dated May 24, 1832 at noon
Appearing was Gabriele Cannoncione, age 68, a scribe, and Michele Messina, age 48, of the same occupation. Both men were living in the town and reported that on the 24th of May at 5 in the night, Caterina had died in her own house in the parish of Santo Pietro. She was age 44 and the wife of Domenico Nicolazzo. She was a spinner living in the town and the daughter of deceased Alesandro (Venturieri) and Rosaria Costa, also deceased.
The document was signed by the town official and the witnesses.

molan
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Petilia Policastro Marriage Processetti - Giuseppe Nicolozza & Francesca Cosco - 1835. 1st 3 attachments

Postby molan » 27 Jul 2016, 19:04

Thank youuuu soooooo very much Erudita. This gives us a lot of information for extending the families. We do appreciate all you hard work tremendously.
Thank you again,
Gary

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 27 Jul 2016, 22:51

Absolutely great job with these translations, Erudita. (Although I'm not at all surprised.)

Domenico Nicolazzo's occupation is Servitore - Servant.

Angela:-)

molan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby molan » 27 Jul 2016, 23:00

Thank you also Angela :-)
Gary

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 27 Jul 2016, 23:35

You are very welcome. I'm feeling a little sheepish - it was Erudita that did the hard slog. Thank you though for the acknowledgement.

Angela

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 27 Jul 2016, 23:39

AngelaGrace56 wrote:Absolutely great job with these translations, Erudita. (Although I'm not at all surprised.)

Domenico Nicolazzo's occupation is Servitore - Servant.

Angela
I was actually considering the word servitore although the next to the last letter looks like an "n" and not an "r" to me. What word do you decipher after the next word "di?" If it didn't have a capital letter elI, I was considering the word livrea-which I believe can refer to the distinctive dress of a servant who works for a particular noble family. But maybe I'm off base with this, and it refers to something else. Another meaning of the word livrea (but it wouldn't be captitalized) would be "livery" or a stable or place where horse owners would pay to have their horses kept, fed, and cared for. The capital letter at the beginning though is what has me puzzled. I don't think it's referring to a town name.
Erudita

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 28 Jul 2016, 01:39

I agree, the word looks more like Servitone than Servitore but I still believe that it is Servitore. It had me stumped as well. I've just had a look at some other records where he is mentioned and his occupation in these records also suggest he was un Servitore.

The words following have me puzzled. I am reading "di laurea" or "di liurea". (The second letter after the letter "l" looks like it has been overwritten.) Not sure it makes sense though. I think your suggestion of livrea is a good one but it seems that all the other words with "v" in the document are quite distinct. Interesting that he died a beggar.

Angela

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 28 Jul 2016, 03:18

Angela
At least I deciphered the word for beggar. That one had me stumped for a while. I just wish I could figure out what the word after di definitely is and what it refers to.

Gary, once again, so happy to help you. If nothing else, my typing skills should improve with all of this translation work!
Erudita

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 28 Jul 2016, 07:24

Erudita and Gary: I've just found the original 1815 Birth Record which is a little clearer. I'm still reading Servitore di Liurea here although it may be Liarea? I don't know what this is. Maybe he was a servant to graduates or maybe it meant something completely different back then? I don't know.
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Also, re: Domenico's 1834 Death Extract it should read Index No 164 and he was aged 50 when he died. Also, I've got a question mark re the spelling of his wife's surname but I haven't really looked closely at this. Here is the original 1834 Death Record:
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Gary, I'm not sure whether you have been looking through these records or not, but the great thing is, they are indexed, which will make life easier for you.

Erudita, great job on these translations and especially deciphering the word for beggar. I've added it to my looooong list.

PippoM
Master
Master

Postby PippoM » 28 Jul 2016, 08:32

I think it's "servitore di livrea". The "livrea" was a sort of uniform:

http://www.treccani.it/vocabolario/livrea/ (in Italian, if you can't understand the meaning just with an online translator, just ask for help)

An example:

https://www.google.it/imgres?imgurl=htt ... mrc&uact=8
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

molan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby molan » 28 Jul 2016, 13:50

Thank you Angela, Erudita and Pippo for all the help in reading and understanding these records.

Angela, the index is the first thing I check for. Unfortunately, many Petilia Policastro records have no index :(. I'm glad that the Crotone records have indexes.
Thanks again,
Gary

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”