Rosalia Vivona Atto di Battesimo

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
sacesta
Elite
Elite
Location: North Carolina via Brooklyn and many places in between

Rosalia Vivona Atto di Battesimo

Postby sacesta » 28 Jul 2016, 14:21

This is the record of baptism for my 5th great grandmother, Rosalia Vivona. Considering it's age it's in remarkably good condition.

If I could get a complete translation for this record it would help me to decipher other records I have. Thanks again for your help. A few short months ago I had no idea I would have been able to discover as much about my ancestral roots as I have. I couldn't have done it without your help.

Steve

Steve Acesta

Researching Calatafimi, Trapani
Surnames Aceste, Papa, Cusenza, Gruppuso, Sciortino, Sparacino, Zito, and Vona.

Researching Montevago, Agrigento (Girgenti)
Surnames Infranco, La Rocca, Mandina, Bilello, Cacioppo, and Cardino.

erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Rosalia Vivona Atto di Battesimo

Postby erudita74 » 28 Jul 2016, 18:57

July 24, 1744
The baptism of Rosalia Vivona- born today to (Maestro) Francesco Vivona and Maria Rocca, spouses of this town and Mother Church (parish)

Godparents:
Godfather was Giuseppe. His surname looks like Avola but I think the o was changed to a letter I in the record and the surname is Avila, which is found in this town. The names of his parents are hard to read. Possibly deceased Francesco and Pietra who formerly were spouses of this town and church.

Godmother was Vincenza (her title “donna”=lady), wife of Vito Marco, and the daughter of notary Leonardo and his wife, Anna, Mancuso, spouses of this town and Mother Church (parish).

Erudita

sacesta
Elite
Elite
Location: North Carolina via Brooklyn and many places in between

Postby sacesta » 28 Jul 2016, 21:26

Thanks Erudita,

I think you are correct that the Godfather's name is Giuseppe Avila. I've noticed that the name Avila is common in Calatafimi. Funny, because when I glanced at the name opening this thread just now it appeared to me to be Joseph Acesta. I've seen at least 3 Joseph Acestas in the records of Calatafimi in this general time frame. It is not, of course, the "esses" in all other words in the record appear as the familiar typewritten, snake-like "S".

Being the daughter of a notary must be what entitles Vincenza to the title "donna", a sign of respect.

But what of the title "maestro"? What does that mean? I've only known the title to apply to conductors of musical groups.

Steve
Steve Acesta

Researching Calatafimi, Trapani
Surnames Aceste, Papa, Cusenza, Gruppuso, Sciortino, Sparacino, Zito, and Vona.

Researching Montevago, Agrigento (Girgenti)
Surnames Infranco, La Rocca, Mandina, Bilello, Cacioppo, and Cardino.

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 29 Jul 2016, 04:04

Steve
The title "maestro" means that the individual was an expert or master of his trade, whatever that trade was. The word could also mean "teacher," but in these early records, more than likely not. Compulsory education in Italy was not in existence until 1877 and, even then, there were many towns in southern Italy and Sicily which didn't have teachers or even schoolhouses.
Erudita

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”