Domenico Ceppi and Caterina Bianchi Bancarotta

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Biff83
Master
Master

Domenico Ceppi and Caterina Bianchi Bancarotta

Postby Biff83 » 29 Jul 2016, 18:14

I've been helping a patron at the local library trace her family's Swiss/Italian heritage. The family is Swiss in nationality but Italian in ethnicity and were from the Canton of Ticino, and I could use some help with this 1843 Latin marriage record between Domenico Ceppi and Catherina Bianchi Bancarotta. Here's my interpretation. I've used Italian first names rather than the Latin.

Marriage took place on 27 Jan 1843 after the banns of marriage were posted:

1st bann on the 1st of January, feast of the circumcision, 2nd bann on the feast of the Epiphany, and the
3rd bann on the Sunday ?

The next few lines 6 through 9 I'm having trouble with. It appears that there were no impediments to the marriage. What is the Tribuale Comi? Was it a committee that approved the marriage at the diocese of Como? Como is in northern Italy not far from Switzerland and the town of Genesterio.

The priest from the parish of Genesterio where the marriage took place then gives the names of the couple.
Domenico Ceppi, son of Domenico and Marianna Soldini and
Caterina Bianchi Bancarotta, daughter of ????, living in the house of Pietro Belloni of this parish (Genesterio)
Does Bancarotta refer to Caterina as a pauper (bankrupt) who was initially placed in a hospital or facility for the poor in Como ("Noscomi Comi")? What's the word before Noscomi? I'm seeing Onerandi (genitive form of the gerund for onero which in Latin means burdened or oppressed.

The balance I'm also having trouble with. Who were Francesco Bianchi and Marsilia ? The bride's parents or witnesses. Does this section state that the parents gave permission for her to marry or does it state that Domenico and Catherina freely exchanged wedding vows?

Thanks,
Biff
Attachments
Dominico & Catherina Marriage 1843.jpg
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

paola52
Elite
Elite

Re: Domenico Ceppi and Caterina Bianchi Bancarotta

Postby paola52 » 29 Jul 2016, 22:43

Hi

1) the third bann was posted in the Sunday "inter octavam Epiphaniae" = the Sunday who falls in the week after Epiphany
2) The name of the village is Genestrerio
3) Genestrerio at the time was in the Diocese of Como but before “tribunal” I read Imp. Reg. “Imperial Regio”, meaning it was the civil court. Como at the time was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. I suppose that, if the bride was an Austrian citizen, she needed permission to marry abroad
4)Domenico’s father was dead “Dominicum qm =quondam” Dominici. I don’t see his mother’s name?
5) after Caterina Bianchi Bancarotta I read “ filiam Venerandi Nosocomi Comi” a child of the Hospital, a foundling. The Hospital of Como placed the foundlings in foster families also in the Canton Ticino
http://www2.arc.usi.ch/ra_2012_03.pdf
6) Francesco Bianchi and Marsilio ? son of Fancesco both of the same parish, were the witnesses “presentibus testis”

Ciao
Paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan

paola52
Elite
Elite

Postby paola52 » 29 Jul 2016, 22:56

Sorry, I forgot
Bianchi Bancarotta is a surname that was given to foundlings
see the death record of one Maria Bianchi Bancarotta, born in Como about 1832, daughter of unknown parents
http://interactive.ancestry.com/1197/vb ... PUBJs=true
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 29 Jul 2016, 23:19

Paola52,

Thanks for your help. My mistake on Domenico's mother's name which I found on his and Caterina's children's baptismal records. Interestingly, on their children's 7 baptismal records on only the youngest son is her name recorded as Bianchi Bancarotta; on all the others it's listed only as Bianchi.

Best,
Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”