Alexander Aloysius Ceppi Latin baptism

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Biff83
Master
Master

Alexander Aloysius Ceppi Latin baptism

Postby Biff83 » 30 Jul 2016, 01:31

I could use some help with this record. Since it was on two pages I'll post the first page here and the second shortly.

Here's my interpretation.

On 17 Oct 1845 a male infant was born to father Domenico Ceppi, son of the deceased Domencio and Marianna Soldini, and mother Caterina Bianchi, from the foundling home in Como, both married in this parish, who because of the danger of death was baptized at home by the midwife Angela B..? The final line from "probata to sequenti" I'm having with. I do know that Mendrisio was a village near the church. I'll post the second part on a following post.
Attachments
Alexandro Aloyisius Ceppi Bap 1845.jpg
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Alexander Aloysius Ceppi Latin baptism

Postby Biff83 » 30 Jul 2016, 01:36

Continuation of baptism record. My loose interpretation of this is that the parish priest Antonio Maria Botta either recorded the baptism or re-baptized the child. Name given was Alexander Aloysius Ceppi, godparents were Alesander Belloni, son of the living Pietro, and Maria ..etti of this parish.

I appreciate everyone's help.

Biff
Attachments
Alexandro Aloyisius Ceppi Bap 1845 ctd.jpg
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 30 Jul 2016, 11:58

Biff-

Alessandro Luigi was born yesterday-4th line down, fourth word from the right. (heri)

There was a time when the Church gave midwives the authority to baptize infants who were in imminent danger of dying-or dying soon after they were delivered. I believe that the part after the word for midwife states that this midwife had been approved (probata) by the town (oppidi) of Mendrisio and that she reported (delatus) the following (seguenti)to the parish priest, who is named in the document, that she baptized the aforementioned (predictus) infant Alessandro Luigi (you have his name in Latin). It is my understanding that the priest recorded the info about the baptism in his books but did not re baptize the infant.

I can't decipher the surname of the godmother.

Erudita

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 30 Jul 2016, 16:09

Thanks for your help, Erudita.

Biff

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 30 Jul 2016, 16:47

Happy to help, Biff.

I just wanted to add, in case you or anyone else is interested, is that it wasn't just midwives who might perform the baptism rite. A really sad, but true story, is told in a book called The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara written by Prof David I Kertzer. Edgardo was a 6 year old Jewish boy living in Bologna. His father was a Jewish merchant there, and the family employed a young Christian servant. When the boy was 5, he became very ill and the servant, unbeknownst to his parents, performed the baptism rite on this child by sprinkling water on his forehead while saying "in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit." A year or so later, she confided this info to a local shopkeeper who, in turn, notified the Inquisitors (1858). In the middle of the night, they came and took the child away from his parents and placed him in monastery where he was then taught the Catechism and raised as a Catholic. They tried to force the Jewish parents to convert to Catholicism in order to be reunited with their son, but they refused and, despite all of their efforts, they never got their son back. The boy ultimately became a Catholic priest.

Erudita

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”