Zito - Farrara Marriage

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
sacesta
Elite
Elite
Location: North Carolina via Brooklyn and many places in between

Zito - Farrara Marriage

Postby sacesta » 08 Aug 2016, 18:08

I believe this is the marriage record of my 4th great grandparents Joachim Zito and Leonarda Fararra.

I could use some help deciphering the dates and the names of the parents and the witnesses in this record.

The date of the event appears to be the 19th of September, but it's a difficult read and I'm unsure. The year is 1795, confirmed by adjacent records on the page (not shown here).

I'm also unable to decipher the groom's parents.

The bride's father appears to be Francesco but I can't read her mother's name.

The witnesses appear to be Pietro (?) Barrone and Antonina Pampalone, two surnames that appear elsewhere in my tree, but I could use confirmation here too.

Thanks again,

Steve

Steve Acesta

Researching Calatafimi, Trapani
Surnames Aceste, Papa, Cusenza, Gruppuso, Sciortino, Sparacino, Zito, and Vona.

Researching Montevago, Agrigento (Girgenti)
Surnames Infranco, La Rocca, Mandina, Bilello, Cacioppo, and Cardino.

erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Zito - Farrara Marriage

Postby erudita74 » 09 Aug 2016, 10:39

I believe the day is Sept 19th, as I see the banns on Aug 30, Sept 6, and Sept 14, which resulted in no impediments to the marriage. The groom was the son of deceased Mariano Zito and ? (mother's first name is abbreviated and I don't know what it is). Her surname was Laudicina. They were spouses at one time in this town. The bride Leonarda was the daughter of deceased Francesco Farrara and living Francesca Lommardo (this is a variant of the surname Lombardo). The bride's parents had been of the parish of S. Julian. Witnesses were Pietro Barone and Antonino Pampalone.

sacesta
Elite
Elite

Postby sacesta » 09 Aug 2016, 13:04

Thanks Erudita!

It's interesting that the witnesses are both male. I took it for granted that one would be male and the other female. Apparently, that's not the case. I've read somewhere that the witnesses are sometimes appointed by the church.

It's also interesting that the bride's parents were from the Chiesa San Giuliano Martire. Wouldn't the bride have been married in that church? I suppose at some time either the bride or her parents left the one parish to attend San Silvestri Papa.

I haven't yet found Leonarda's record of baptism and I'm wondering now if I might find them in the records of San Giuliano Martire instead. There are several other women of this generation whose records (both baptismal and marriage) I have not yet found. There surnames are Mirabella, Sabena and Amoroso. A location search on those names and where they are today results in places like Catania, Erice and Bagheria. Vague, at best, and it still leaves the particular parish in question.

Steve
Steve Acesta

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 09 Aug 2016, 13:18

Steve
Sometimes you find the same witnesses serving in multiple records in a given year, or even on a given page. In those cases, more than likely, they are witnesses used by the church. In towns where you have Confirmation records, you often find the same sponsor(s) for all, or many, of the individuals (not necessarily children) being confirmed at the same time.
BTW, I saw your PM. I'll reply as soon as I can.
Erudita

sacesta
Elite
Elite

Postby sacesta » 09 Aug 2016, 13:27

Thanks. You must have sent that last post while I was editing the previous.
Steve Acesta

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”