Help with handwriting on Chiusano Birth Record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
MikeCap

Help with handwriting on Chiusano Birth Record

Postby MikeCap » 14 Aug 2016, 15:47

Hi there!

Working on the genealogy of my husbands family... found a lot. But these Italian handwritten records are tricky!

I can't make out most of this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Especially, who are the parents of Pasquale? And can you confirm the date of birth?

I am very interested in the last paragraph on this document (which mostly fills the second page).

Thank you!

Keira (+ Michael)
Attachments
Pasquale Angelis 2.JPG
pasquale angelis 1.JPG

erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Help with handwriting on Chiusano Birth Record

Postby erudita74 » 18 Aug 2016, 04:19

Dated April 19, 1880 at 8:40 a.m. in the town hall of Chiusano.
Appearing was Arcangelo Angelis, age 30, a peasant living in the town of Chiusano San Domenico. He reported that, on the 18th, of the current month, in the house located on via S. Vincenzo, a male infant was born to his wife, Concetta Fuccillo, who was living with him. It was this infant whom he was presenting and to whom was being given the name, Pasquale.
Witnesses to the declaration of the birth, and presentation of the infant, were Guiseppe Fuccillo, age 32, a peasant in the town, and Giuseppe ? (can’t decipher his surname), age 40, also peasant living in the town.
The town official read the document to all who had intervened. Only he signed below, as the declarant and witnesses were illiterate.

You may want to invest in a copy of Trafford Cole's book

https://www.amazon.com/Italian-Genealog ... 0916489582

MikeCap

Postby MikeCap » 21 Aug 2016, 04:57

Thank you for the help! I have the book by Lynn Nelson "Discovering Your Italian Ancestors"... but I am definitely taking your recommendation!

I am concerned that the date of birth is off by a couple of days from OUR pasquale angelis... I wonder if this is common... I'll have to do some more digging. :)

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 21 Aug 2016, 14:24

My husband has an ancestor whose U.S. birthday was 5 days different from her Italian birth record, but we know we have the correct record by the parents' names in the record. If you weren't familiar with the parents' names previously, are there any descendants who were given these first names? Naming patterns were important to the Italians. Usually the first male son was named for the husband's father, the second male for the wife's, etc. Of course, in some towns, surnames and first names may have been common, so you could have the record for a cousin who shared the same grandparents. Keep checking to be sure, but hopefully you have the correct record. Oh, sometimes the day and month match U.S. records, but the year in the Italian record could be off by a year from U.S. records. So check the Italian records in the year preceding and following the one in this record. My maternal grandfather, for example, was born in 1883, but all U.S. records show him born in 1884. Please keep us posted.
Erudita

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”