Stumped!

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
sacesta
Elite
Elite
Location: North Carolina via Brooklyn and many places in between

Stumped!

Post by sacesta »

I scanned this record a few weeks ago at my local FHC and just today noticed something very odd about it.

This record shows one Antonio Aceste son of Benedetto Aceste and Antonina Sparacino baptized in 1830.

The problem is that Benedetto Aceste was not married to Antonina Sparacino. He was married to Antonina Sciortino. Ignazio Cusenza was married to Antonina Sparacino. Even odder is that these four people are my 3rd great grandparents on my father's side.

The Benedetto mentioned in this record could be no other than my 3rd great grandfather who was a foundling born in 1802. Before, or collateral to, him there are no other Acestes in the records.

Is it possible the priest recorded Antonina's surname as Sparacino, when in fact it was Sciortino?

Steve Acesta

Researching Calatafimi, Trapani
Surnames Aceste, Papa, Cusenza, Gruppuso, Sciortino, Sparacino, Zito, and Vona.

Researching Montevago, Agrigento (Girgenti)
Surnames Infranco, La Rocca, Mandina, Bilello, Cacioppo, and Cardino.
sacesta
Elite
Elite

Re: Stumped!

Post by sacesta »

**Deleted**
Steve Acesta

sacesta
Elite
Elite

Post by sacesta »

Comments? Anyone?
Steve Acesta

peonygirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by peonygirl »

I looked at this when you first posted it, but I can't figure it out. I am sure you can make out a few words, but that doesn't help. Sorry Steve....
Peonygirl
Always Searching....
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Baptism Jan 4, 1830. Birth on the 3rd (born yesterday). Parents Benedetto Aceste and Antonina Sparacino. Infant given the name Antonino Maria (Aceste).
Godparents: Rocco Tristaino, son of Leonardo (Tristaino) and dec Francesca Milano (who had been spouses in this town and Mother Church (S. Silvestre Papa) when she was alive, and Giovanna Morsellino, daughter of dec Pietro Morsellino and dec Pietra (can't decipher her surname which possibly starts Summ...; she was of this town and Mother Church and the wife of Vito Tristaino
sacesta
Elite
Elite

Post by sacesta »

Thank you both for taking the time to try to decipher this. I've got the read on this, but here is what has me baffled.

This record shows Benedetto Aceste and Antonina Sparacino (my 3rd great grandparents) as father and mother to the baptized infant.

The issue I have with this record is that Benedetto Aceste was not married to Antonina Sparacino. Benedetto Aceste's wife was Antonina Sciortino.

Antonina Sparacino's husband was Ignazio Cusenza. I know this because Antonina Sparacino and Ignazio Cusenza are also my 3rd great grandparents.

All four of these 3rd great grandparents are mentioned in the records of marriage and baptism of my 2nd great grandparents, Rocco Aceste and Antonia Cusenza.

So my question is: Could it be probable that whoever recorded the document above confused the mother of the baptized infant, recording her as Antonina Sparacino, when in fact, it should have been Antonina Sciortino?

Has anyone ever seen an error of this type in the records?

Here are the marriage records for Rocco Aceste and Antonia Cusenza, Benedetto Aceste and Antonina Sciortino, and Ignazio Cusenza and Antonina Sparacino:

Steve Acesta

kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kencwalker »

sacesta wrote:The issue I have with this record is that Benedetto Aceste was not married to Antonina Sparacino.
Benedetto Aceste's wife was Antonina Sciortino.
Antonina Sparacino's husband was Ignazio Cusenza.

So my question is: Could it be probable that whoever recorded the document above confused the mother of the baptized infant, recording her as Antonina Sparacino, when in fact, it should have been Antonina Sciortino?

Has anyone ever seen an error of this type in the records?
Steve,
I can't comment on parish records, but have seen several civil records with names entered incorrectly, especially when there's a common first name (Antonina S. in this case). I cross-referenced marriage and death record, note the difference and that "logic" was applied (and hope that my ancestors were not up to some wild shenanigans).
Good luck,
-Ken
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.
sacesta
Elite
Elite

Post by sacesta »

Thanks Ken,
That's what I'm thinking - that this was just an error. It couldn't possibly be any other way. The dates confirm that.
Steve
Steve Acesta

kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kencwalker »

sacesta wrote:That's what I'm thinking - that this was just an error. It couldn't possibly be any other way.
If it wasn't an error, this situation would be the original "Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice". LOL

I've stopped using the expression "can't be be any other way" (just because my logic must be true and correct).
There have been enough instances that "don't make sense" (initially) only to research and find records that substantiate what I thought was impossible. :) One husband/wife/death/remarriage was particularly difficult to unsnarl. And, there have been cases where there was clearly a data entry error (confusing the Cantoias, Castaldis, and Cattaneos).
In your case, you can compare parents names on the child's marriage or death record to verify.

-Ken
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.