Twins or Not?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jestes

Twins or Not?

Postby jestes » 07 Oct 2016, 04:00

Here are four of what look to be the exact same birth record, taken from the processetti of four different marriages:

Maria Ferraro & Vito Pacino in 1828. (Vito died in 1840.)
Maria Ferraro & Giuseppe Perrone in 1841.

Giuseppa Ferraro & Francesco Perricone in 1834. (Francesco died in 1838.)
Giuseppa Ferraro & Ciro Patrinostro in 1839.

These can't be for one individual, "Maria Giuseppa" (as the marriages overlap), can they? Note that the two records for the bride called "Maria" in the rest of the paperwork state her name as "Maria Josepha" and the two records for the bride called "Giuseppa" state her name as "Ma. Josepha."

Are these two different women with the same birth certificate? Could they be identical twins? Could they be Siamese twins with one birth certificate?

Thanks for any help,
John Estes

(I hope I have presented this clearly enough, as I am trying to get it posted before the hurricane hits down here...)
Attachments
m1834-11-29 perricone-ferraro(giuseppa).jpg
m1841-12-8 perrone-ferraro(maria).jpg
m1828-4-20 pacino-ferraro(maria).jpg

jestes

Re: Twins or Not?

Postby jestes » 07 Oct 2016, 04:01

Here is the fourth record:
Attachments
m1839-11-30 patrinostro-ferraro(giuseppa).jpg

PippoM
Master
Master

Postby PippoM » 07 Oct 2016, 10:47

Apparently, the four certificates refer to the same person.
According to me, there are two possibilities:
1) Vito Pacino didn't die in 1840, but before 1834.
2) The brides are twins, named Maria and Maria Giuseppa, but the priest provided a wrong certificate.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

jestes

Postby jestes » 07 Oct 2016, 20:08

The death certificate of Vito Pacino corroborates the copy in with the marriage processetti that he did die in 1840. Which bring up the point that, assuming Maria and Giuseppa were two different people, only the second marriage of each contained a death certificate for a previous spouse in the processetti.

On the other hand, there really is no mention of gemelle or any other word indicating twins.

Also note that on one of the birth records for "Maria" (if they are two people), the word "Maria" is underlined.

It may be that by the time of these four marriages the birth certificate of one of the twins was lost, or filed in the wrong place, and the current priest, like you say, just assumed the the remaining certificate was the desired one.

Thanks,
John

Return to “Italian language, handwriting , script & translations”