Husband and Wife Birth Acts

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Husband and Wife Birth Acts

Post by phishfood »

I found these last night and was wondering if someone could help me translate them? I have a hard time reading the handwriting. I can try to figure out the typed part but not the handwriting part. The margins would be nice too. Let me know. Thanks.

Kim

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/4753 ... all8kf.jpg

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3909 ... rth7dy.jpg
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Husband and Wife Birth Acts

Post by VaDeb »

Hi KIm,

Download these forms and find the one that matches your act. Then it is basically just fill in the blank. Really, the translation is not that hard. If you start to work at it you will get the hang of it.

http://www.comunesofitaly.org/Links/RuthNerud.htm
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Post by phishfood »

Can someone help me read some of the handwriting for francesantonio's birth? What does it say after figlio? And then after nato di in the thrid paragraph? I can't read all that handwriting. Actually I have problems with most of this handwriting. I definately can not read the side margins. I can translate the typed part but that is it. Let me know if someone can assist me. Thanks.

Kim
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Kim,

THe margin notes are the baptism record.

The handwriting gets easier the more you work with it. If you follow the wording of the act (downloaded from the site I gave you above) it helps figure out the word. Example, when it is a month, look at a list of the months written in Italian. By determining a few letters you can figure out what month it is. Now you have a know sample of the handwriting and can use that to help you figure out other words.

If you still are stuck, take time to write out the acts and leave blanks where you can't figure out a word. Post what you have written and others can help you figure out the words you do not know.

If you want to do Italian genealogy, you are going to be reading alot of these acts. You need to start learning how to work through them. After a few it does get much easier. Give it a try.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

phishfood wrote:Can someone help me read some of the handwriting for francesantonio's birth? What does it say after figlio?

del fu Gennaro
This means son of Gennaro. But (fu) indicates the person it refers to is deceased. So you know Gennaro died before the date of the act.

And then after nato di in the thrid paragraph? I can't read all that handwriting. Actually I have problems with most of this handwriting. I definately can not read the side margins. I can translate the typed part but that is it. Let me know if someone can assist me. Thanks.

Kim
The book by Tafford Cole I recommened earlier also explains the acts and translates them. It is very helpful.
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Post by phishfood »

I will try to work through it. Thanks so much. I am waiting for that book from the library and can't wait to read it.

Kim
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Post by phishfood »

Can someone translate the baptismal records on the sides of the birth acts for me? I don't have anything to go by for that?

Kim
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

The Lds has an extensive word list, A thru Z, of terms you will see in Italian records. Hope this helps.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... Italia.ASP
wldspirit
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Post by phishfood »

OK, I translated most of Francesantonio's birth act. I need help in a few of the areas. I really can't read the writing. I spent a few hours on it actually.

The first starts with noto da.... (the only part I get is legitimate mother). Then di anni... (what is before the nove?) Next: e da lai?.... then: nella casa.....

Then where it starts with La presentazione I need help with the word after di anni (Is that ventifette?) Then what is the name after is says in the commune e di Giuseppe (what is the last name?) and then after his name it says di anni then what is that word? At the very bottom of the birth act there is handwriting, does that usualy give important information?

On the baptism part what dies it say after Parrose di? Victro what or who? After is states the month of January what dies it say after anno? Then after is says del mese anno (of the month)??

I tried and I don't have that book yet so if someone has time to help that would be great. I amgoing to work on his wife's now. Thanks.

Kim
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

The year 1857, the day 19 of January to hour 21.00
In my presence Giuseppantonio PAVONE Major and Civil records Officer of Montebello Municipality in Teramo province, is has appeared Raffaele MARRONE son of Gennaro deceased, of 40 old, and farmer profession, domiciled in this Common, that introduce to me a child that I ocular recognize it, and he declare me that it itself is born from Anna TOSA(?) daughter of Rosario and legitimate wife of him of age 39, domiciled with he declarant, of age…., of profession…., domiciled as above, in day 19 of January month to hours 20.00, in the house of own residence.
It itself it declare that he give to child the first name of Francescantonio.
The presentation and declaration saying above, it is made in the presence of Antonio DI DOMENICO of age 27, farmer profession, of this reign, domiciled in this common, and of Giuseppe VENTI..TTI of age 72, secretary profession, of this reign, domiciled in this Common, witnesses present to this act and from declarant to called(a witness).
The present act is read to declarant and to witnesses and so signed only by me, saying these present persons not to know to write.

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Post by phishfood »

suanj,

You are awesome. Thanks. I got a lot right but some of it was hard for me to read. You are a pro of course :)

Kim
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

phishfood wrote:suanj,

You are awesome. Thanks. I got a lot right but some of it was hard for me to read. You are a pro of course :)

Kim
:wink: suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Post by phishfood »

Quick question about Francesantonio's birth act. It states that his grandfather is Gennaro. Everything else on the birth act is correct except that. Could that be an error? His birth certificate says he was born 01/19/1857 and his mom's name is right and his dad's name is correct. Should I worry about the grandfather's name?

Kim
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

No: impossible.
All data on birthact are corrects:
Gennaro Marrone >Raffaele Marrone>Francescantonio Marrone.
Regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH