Birth Act for abandoned infant

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Birth Act for abandoned infant

Postby VaDeb » 25 Mar 2006, 10:32

I came across this birth act for an abandoned baby. Since this is a subject that often comes up I am posting it as an example. Hoping we can all learn something from it.

It was listed in the index under Lucia DIRAIMONDO, although clearly the name was recorded as Lucia LUCE.

Page 1
http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/2109/birth10zp.jpg

Page 2
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/8092/birth29ba.jpg

My summary of the act:

The act was created on February 18, 1888 at the town hall in Villalba, Italy.

The child was presented by Rosolino VITA, age 30, farmer, resident of the town. He declared parents are unknown but child was born/discovered on February 15 at 11:30 in the morning. The female child is given the name Lucia. It goes on to list the information of the two witnesses.

The margin notes are interesting. Not sure if I am interpreting them correctly.

1888 the 6th day of March in Villalba (this is when notation was made?)
Calogero DiRaimondo and Carmela Vasta were married and the marriage was recorded Act #9 in the register of the corresponding year.
Official of Vital Records

Other suggestions or comments? Just posting this for educational value.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Birth Act for abandoned infant

Postby suanj » 25 Mar 2006, 12:54

VaDeb wrote:I came across this birth act for an abandoned baby. Since this is a subject that often comes up I am posting it as an example. Hoping we can all learn something from it.

It was listed in the index under Lucia DIRAIMONDO, although clearly the name was recorded as Lucia LUCE.

Page 1
http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/2109/birth10zp.jpg

Page 2
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/8092/birth29ba.jpg

My summary of the act:

The act was created on February 18, 1888 at the town hall in Villalba, Italy.

The child was presented by Rosolino VITA, age 30, farmer, resident of the town. He declared parents are unknown but child was born/discovered on February 15 at 11:30 in the morning. The female child is given the name Lucia. It goes on to list the information of the two witnesses.

The margin notes are interesting. Not sure if I am interpreting them correctly.

1888 the 6th day of March in Villalba (this is when notation was made?)
Calogero DiRaimondo and Carmela Vasta were married and the marriage was recorded Act #9 in the register of the corresponding year.
Official of Vital Records

Other suggestions or comments? Just posting this for educational value.

Hi Debbie, yes was a abandoned baby, but in 6 Mar 1888 the baby was legitimate as daughter by Raimondo Calogero and Carmela Vasta.
Regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby VaDeb » 25 Mar 2006, 21:27

Thanks Suanj. My Italian is getting better! Hopefully this record will be an example of what to look for in the records when dealing with an abandoned baby. But, from my experience there are few of these records noted with names of actual parents. In this case the parents married and reclaimed the child.

Thanks for your clarification. I learn so much from your help.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 25 Mar 2006, 22:36

hi Debbie, me too learn much from your help ... I know about Italy and you and all members here about USA... the culture's exchanging is world's culture! many kisses, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian language, handwriting , script & translations