Need help translating marriage and death documents!

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
hachaliah

Need help translating marriage and death documents!

Post by hachaliah »

Hi!
I recently got a ton of microfilm at the local LDS and took a bunch of pictures of death and marriage certificates. The problem is, I am having trouble translating AND deciphering the cursive! I'm sure it's easier when you're familiar with the language, but not me!
If anyone could translate as best they could the pictures I've put up here:

http://loanprocessor.googlepages.com/pictures

I would be forever in your debt.

You can click on the pictures and see them all nice and huge for optimal interpretation.
Thanks in advance!
--Brian--
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Need help translating marriage and death documents!

Post by VaDeb »

Wow - thats alot of records to translate. They get easier the more you do it. They will all follow the same basic format.

Here is a lind for transcribed records. http://www.comunesofitaly.org/Links/Tips.htm
It should help.

Also Tafford Cole's book "Italian Genealogical Records" translates these records with actual examples and word by word translations.

Both these sources should help you.

Neat way to post the links with enlargements. I downloaded one of your photo's, but had difficulty with the "curvature" of the image. It may be helpful to post the name of the comune.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Sorry, Wrong post
hachaliah

Post by hachaliah »

Anyone?
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

hachaliah wrote:Hi!
I recently got a ton of microfilm at the local LDS and took a bunch of pictures of death and marriage certificates. The problem is, I am having trouble translating AND deciphering the cursive! I'm sure it's easier when you're familiar with the language, but not me!
If anyone could translate as best they could the pictures I've put up here:

http://loanprocessor.googlepages.com/pictures

I would be forever in your debt.

You can click on the pictures and see them all nice and huge for optimal interpretation.
Thanks in advance!
--Brian--

Hi Brian,

Here is the last document you have listed. It's the translation for the death act of Raffaele Gradone. I'm sorry to say that some of the surnames are a little hard to read such as who is the wife of Raffaele. I also posted the same response on Gaetano's website.

I hope this helps some.
Trish

Act of Death
Raffaele Gradone
Date of Death: June 12, 1876

Act Number (number is cut off)

In the year one thousand eight hundred seventy-six, of day twelve, of June at the hour post-meridian seven and minute ten in the Town Hall, before me Antonio d’Agostino, mayor and the official of vital records of the town of Castelvetere and appeared Antonio deCoti, of age sixty, farmer, resident of Castelvetere, and Antonio Bimonte, of age sixty-eight, property owner, resident of Castelvetere,

who has informed that at the hour of post-meridian six and minute five, of today in the house on Via Piazza at number forty-one and

died Raffaele Gradone, of age sixty-four, property owner (land owner), resided in Castelvetere, born in Castelfranci, son of the late Salvatore (deceased), resided and lived in Castelfranci, and of the Domenica Mariano (deceased), resided and lived in the same town, widower of Bimonte (can’t make out name)

To this action which witnesses have been present, Giovanni Mele, of age forty-six, property owner, and of Andrea Mele, of age forty, property owner, both residing in this Town. We therefore have formed the present act, which has been introduced, written and signed.

Giovanni Mele, witness
Andrea Mele, witness
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum